Central America
Honduran President demands results from security authorities

March 7th |
Given the increase in massacres and femicides that have occurred this year, the president of Honduras, Xiomara Castro, demanded Monday that the authorities responsible for national security provide results within 72 hours.
“Security Secretariat: Everything that has been requested of me I have resolved. National Control of Prisons, transfer of the Anti Maras Force, Investigation and Intelligence Directorate, State of Emergency and extensions in more than 60 percent of the national territory,” the president wrote on her Twitter account.
“It is not possible that we are under attack by organized crime in constant massacres and femicides, among others. I demand decisive actions and results in the next 72 hours! The time to wait is over!” said the president.
This Monday, the spokesman of the National Police, Miguel Martínez, informed that at least eight people who were driving in a vehicle were murdered in a village in the department of Comayagua, in the center of the Central American country.
The victims correspond to seven adults (three of them women) and one minor, who apparently came from the same family.
Last Saturday, another massacre was committed in the city of Comayagüela, when seven people were gunned down.
According to a count made by local media, nine massacres have been perpetrated in the Central American country so far in 2023, with a total of 37 deaths.
Central America
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping

A police officer was killed during riots provoked by an enraged mob in a Guatemalan town following the kidnapping of a baby, the government reported on Wednesday.
The incidents began on Tuesday night and continued into the early hours of Wednesday in the town of San Vicente Pacaya, about 25 km south of the capital, according to Minister of the Interior Francisco Jiménez.
“There was an incident in San Vicente Pacaya where, unfortunately, a police officer died after being struck in the head with a stone. He passed away this morning,” Jiménez said in a press conference.
He explained that the unrest erupted following the arrest of two suspects in connection with the kidnapping of “a baby just a few months old,” including a woman with a criminal record.
Sports
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain

The Venezuelan government announced on Wednesday that it is investigating the case of 18 baseball players who are “under the supervision of Spanish authorities” after seeking protection.
In a statement, Venezuelan authorities said they are working to determine whether this case involves “a possible human trafficking scheme,” though they have not provided any evidence of such a crime.
The Venezuelan government emphasized its commitment to protecting the country’s athletes while also denouncing the use of international legal frameworks by certain governments allegedly seeking to discredit the administration.
CNN reached out to Spain’s National Police for a response to Venezuela’s claims. According to Spanish authorities, the 18 young athletes—including two minors—arrived in Spain to participate in a series of matches but had already planned to apply for asylum. Authorities confirmed on Tuesday that they had begun interviewing the players to process their international protection requests.
The team’s coach addressed the situation in a TikTok video, refuting local media reports that he had abandoned the athletes. He asserted that the players chose to remain in Barcelona to secure the necessary permits to sign with other teams and that their decision was unrelated to any political motivations.
Sports
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo

A two-time Copa Libertadores champion with Flamengo during his playing days, Filipe Luis will make his managerial debut in the tournament this Thursday when the popular Rio de Janeiro club faces Venezuela’s Deportivo Táchira.
Placed in Group C alongside Táchira, Liga de Quito, and Argentina’s Central Córdoba, Flamengo starts as one of the favorites—a major challenge for the 39-year-old former player.
His early coaching career has been off to a strong start.
After retiring in 2023, Filipe Luis took over as Flamengo’s head coach on September 30. Just 41 days later, he won his first title, the Copa do Brasil. The year 2025 has already brought two more trophies: the Supercopa do Brasil, where Flamengo defeated Botafogo—current Libertadores and Brasileirão champions—3-1, and the Campeonato Carioca.
At 8:30 PM local time (00:30 GMT Friday), Flamengo under Filipe Luis will make its international debut at Estadio Pueblo Nuevo in San Cristóbal. Although Gerson, Uruguayan Giorgian de Arrascaeta, and Ecuadorian Gonzalo Plata are unavailable, the squad still boasts attacking firepower with Bruno Henrique and Everton.
-
International4 days ago
Son of journalist José Rubén Zamora condemns father’s return to prison as “illegal”
-
International4 days ago
Miyazaki’s style goes viral with AI but at what cost?
-
Central America3 days ago
Panama police clarifies that Interpol alert for Martinelli is still pending
-
Central America2 days ago
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary urges Mexico to strengthen Guatemala border
-
International2 days ago
Trump urges Putin to reach peace deal
-
Central America2 days ago
Panama grants Martinelli 72-hour extension to travel to Nicaragua
-
International3 days ago
Deportation flight lands in Venezuela; government denies criminal gang links
-
International12 hours ago
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal
-
Central America9 hours ago
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping
-
Sports12 hours ago
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo
-
International12 hours ago
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join
-
International12 hours ago
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders
-
Sports12 hours ago
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain
-
International12 hours ago
ICE agent’s arrest of suspect sparks controversy in Boston
-
International12 hours ago
Óscar Arias: Trump’s trade policies are a step backward