Central America
Security fences in El Salvador prevented gangs from regrouping

May 1 |
In addition to providing security to the population and putting criminals behind bars, the security fences implemented in El Salvador, specifically in Soyapango, Tutunichapa and La Granjita as phase 5 of the Territorial Control Plan (PCT), have prevented gangs from regrouping, according to Defense Minister René Merino Monroy.
“Through the military fences we have prevented the gangs from regrouping and thus guaranteeing the security of the population. Now we have given the population peace of mind, so that they can move around in peace,” said Merino Monroy.
The security fences are part of the PCT’s “Extraction” phase, which was launched in November of last year and aims to remove all gang members who continue to commit crimes in neighborhoods and colonias. The authorities carried out the same type of siege that was implemented in Comasagua, La Libertad, last year, where 2,000 soldiers and police were deployed in search of the murderers of a farm caretaker who was a victim of extortion. For the time being, these fences remain permanent in Soyapango and the communities of Tutunichapa and La Granjita in San Salvador.
“This phase has two elements, one is the extraction and the other is, based on what has been learned during the regime, to fence off large areas while the gang members are being extracted,” said the President of the Republic, Nayib Bukele during the launch of this phase.
In December 2022, a contingent of 8,500 soldiers and 1,500 police officers were deployed in Soyapango to encircle the entire municipality. The Minister of Defense has detailed that so far more than 1,400 gang members have been captured in this area alone and this has led to a drastic reduction in homicides in the area. In addition, the authorities have recovered more than 1,000 homes that were usurped by gangs in neighborhoods such as La Campanera, Monte Blanco, Las Margaritas and the 22 de Abril community, among others, considered highly dangerous in Soyapango.
La Tutunichapa and La Granjita were also surrounded in December last year. More than 1,000 soldiers and 100 police were distributed in both communities in search of gang members. The presence of the security forces has led to a decrease in crime, including drug trafficking, as these areas were characterized by the retail sale of narcotics. To date there have been more than 350 arrests in both communities, according to the police; in addition, drug trafficking has been hit hard. In just the first two weeks after the fences were implemented, more than seven kilos of drugs, including cocaine, marijuana and crack, had been seized.
The security that now exists in these two communities has changed the lives of the inhabitants. New businesses have been established in the areas and institutions such as the Ministry of Public Works (MOP), the Ministry of Health, the Social Housing Fund, the Mortgage Bank and the Consumer Protection Agency have come forward to offer their services to the inhabitants. Even the Ministry of Agriculture has been holding “agromarkets”.
The implementation of the security fences together with the execution of the exception regime has allowed that in the last year the gangs have been dismantled, capturing more than 68,000 gang members, among them leaders and collaborators, in addition, 3,571 vehicles, 2,698 firearms and 16,437 cell phones have been seized from these structures.
These measures, which are focused on curbing criminal activity, have been viewed positively by the Salvadoran population. The security forces, deployed by the emergency regime and as part of the PCT, have been supported by Salvadorans. Providing food, giving a place to rest and verbally expressing gratitude are some of the actions with which the population expresses the work of soldiers and police.
Central America
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping

A police officer was killed during riots provoked by an enraged mob in a Guatemalan town following the kidnapping of a baby, the government reported on Wednesday.
The incidents began on Tuesday night and continued into the early hours of Wednesday in the town of San Vicente Pacaya, about 25 km south of the capital, according to Minister of the Interior Francisco Jiménez.
“There was an incident in San Vicente Pacaya where, unfortunately, a police officer died after being struck in the head with a stone. He passed away this morning,” Jiménez said in a press conference.
He explained that the unrest erupted following the arrest of two suspects in connection with the kidnapping of “a baby just a few months old,” including a woman with a criminal record.
Sports
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain

The Venezuelan government announced on Wednesday that it is investigating the case of 18 baseball players who are “under the supervision of Spanish authorities” after seeking protection.
In a statement, Venezuelan authorities said they are working to determine whether this case involves “a possible human trafficking scheme,” though they have not provided any evidence of such a crime.
The Venezuelan government emphasized its commitment to protecting the country’s athletes while also denouncing the use of international legal frameworks by certain governments allegedly seeking to discredit the administration.
CNN reached out to Spain’s National Police for a response to Venezuela’s claims. According to Spanish authorities, the 18 young athletes—including two minors—arrived in Spain to participate in a series of matches but had already planned to apply for asylum. Authorities confirmed on Tuesday that they had begun interviewing the players to process their international protection requests.
The team’s coach addressed the situation in a TikTok video, refuting local media reports that he had abandoned the athletes. He asserted that the players chose to remain in Barcelona to secure the necessary permits to sign with other teams and that their decision was unrelated to any political motivations.
Sports
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo

A two-time Copa Libertadores champion with Flamengo during his playing days, Filipe Luis will make his managerial debut in the tournament this Thursday when the popular Rio de Janeiro club faces Venezuela’s Deportivo Táchira.
Placed in Group C alongside Táchira, Liga de Quito, and Argentina’s Central Córdoba, Flamengo starts as one of the favorites—a major challenge for the 39-year-old former player.
His early coaching career has been off to a strong start.
After retiring in 2023, Filipe Luis took over as Flamengo’s head coach on September 30. Just 41 days later, he won his first title, the Copa do Brasil. The year 2025 has already brought two more trophies: the Supercopa do Brasil, where Flamengo defeated Botafogo—current Libertadores and Brasileirão champions—3-1, and the Campeonato Carioca.
At 8:30 PM local time (00:30 GMT Friday), Flamengo under Filipe Luis will make its international debut at Estadio Pueblo Nuevo in San Cristóbal. Although Gerson, Uruguayan Giorgian de Arrascaeta, and Ecuadorian Gonzalo Plata are unavailable, the squad still boasts attacking firepower with Bruno Henrique and Everton.
-
International5 days ago
Son of journalist José Rubén Zamora condemns father’s return to prison as “illegal”
-
Central America2 days ago
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary urges Mexico to strengthen Guatemala border
-
International5 days ago
Miyazaki’s style goes viral with AI but at what cost?
-
Central America4 days ago
Panama police clarifies that Interpol alert for Martinelli is still pending
-
International2 days ago
Trump urges Putin to reach peace deal
-
Central America2 days ago
Panama grants Martinelli 72-hour extension to travel to Nicaragua
-
International20 hours ago
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal
-
International4 days ago
Deportation flight lands in Venezuela; government denies criminal gang links
-
Central America17 hours ago
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping
-
Sports20 hours ago
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo
-
International20 hours ago
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join
-
International20 hours ago
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders
-
Sports19 hours ago
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain
-
International20 hours ago
ICE agent’s arrest of suspect sparks controversy in Boston
-
International20 hours ago
Óscar Arias: Trump’s trade policies are a step backward