Connect with us

International

DACA program celebrates 11 years in place amid legal turbulence

DACA program celebrates 11 years in place amid legal turbulence
Photo: Reuters

June 15 |

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, also known as DACA, which was established by the Barack Obama administration, turns 11 years old Thursday amid calls for permanent protective action.

“Only Congress can provide permanent and lasting stability for these young people and their families. Congress must act to protect our Dreamers,” President Joe Biden, who was vice president of the country at the time the program was instituted, said in written communication.

Since 2012, DACA has provided protections from deportation to some 800,000 people known as “Dreamers,” who entered the U.S. irregularly as children. This program does not offer legal residency status or a path to citizenship, however, it does allow them to have a work permit, driver’s license and social security.

“Dreamers are Americans. Many have spent most of their lives in the United States. They are our doctors, our teachers, and our small business owners,” he said.

Advertisement
20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL
previous arrow
next arrow

Biden noted in his message that “the first version” of a legislative measure to regulate DACA was presented to Congress more than 20 years ago, and since then, it has been championed by coalitions and organizations. However, Biden said, “Congress has failed to act.”

Under the Donald Trump administration, repeated attempts were made to dismantle DACA. In 2017, the then-president assured that “DACA is a very, very difficult issue for me” and in noted that “(the beneficiaries) are here illegally.”

During the presidential campaign in 2016, Trump promised that he would end “the two executive amnesties” implemented by Obama, in reference to DACA and Deferred Action for Parents of Americans.

On July 16, 2021, a U.S. court ruled that DACA was “unlawful” and issued an order prohibiting the government from continuing to grant applications for the program. However, the nullification order was temporarily stayed.

Under this ruling, it was established that the program would not receive new applications, however, those approved prior to July 16 would continue to be eligible to renew DACA and their work permits.

Advertisement
20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL
previous arrow
next arrow

Finally, on October 5, 2022, the U.S. Court of Appeals issued a decision upholding the declaration of illegality of the policy. However, it upheld the partial stay and remanded the case back to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas to consider a final rule on implementation.

With this, the program remains in “limbo” according to organizations such as the National Immigration Law Center, which asserts that “it is another clear and serious reminder of the urgency for Congress to act quickly to provide a permanent legislative solution.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20250301_vacunacion_vph-300x250
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_300x250
20231124_etesal_300x250_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_300X250
MARN1

International

Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal

Paraguay summoned the Brazilian ambassador in Asunción on Tuesday to demand “explanations” and called its own representative in Brasília for consultations following Brazil’s acknowledgment of an espionage operation. The Brazilian government, led by President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, attributed the operation to the previous administration.

The surveillance effort aimed to uncover Paraguay’s position in now-suspended negotiations with Brazil regarding the pricing of electricity from the binational Itaipú hydroelectric plant, according to reports in the Brazilian press.

The Brazilian government “categorically denied any involvement in the intelligence operation,” stating in a Foreign Ministry communiqué on Monday that the espionage was carried out under former President Jair Bolsonaro’s administration (2019-2023).

“The operation was authorized by the previous government in June 2022 and was annulled by the interim director of the (state intelligence agency) ABIN on March 27, 2023, as soon as the current administration became aware of it,” Brazil’s government asserted.

Paraguay’s Foreign Minister Rubén Ramírez announced that Brazilian Ambassador José Antonio Marcondes de Carvalho was summoned “to provide detailed explanations” regarding the operation. Additionally, Paraguay recalled its diplomatic representative in Brasília “to report on aspects related to the intelligence activity conducted by Brazil regarding Paraguay’s government affairs.”

Advertisement

20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL

previous arrow
next arrow

Continue Reading

International

Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders

President Donald Trump has informed his inner circle that Elon Musk will be stepping down from his role as a government advisor, according to a report by Politico today.

Citing three individuals close to Trump, Politico states that the president is pleased with Musk’s leadership at the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), where he has implemented significant budget cuts. However, both have agreed that it is time for Musk to return to his businesses and support Trump from a different position outside the government.

A senior administration official told Politico that Musk will likely maintain an informal advisory role and continue to be an occasional visitor to the White House. Another source warned that anyone thinking Musk will completely disappear from Trump’s circle is “deluding themselves.”

According to the sources, this transition is expected to coincide with the end of Musk’s tenure as a “special government employee,” a temporary status that exempts him from certain ethics and conflict-of-interest regulations. This 130-day period is set to expire in late May or early June.

Continue Reading

International

Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join

Argentine President Javier Milei reaffirmed his country’s claim over the Falkland Islands (known as the Islas Malvinas in Argentina) and praised the role of the nation’s armed forces during a ceremony marking the “Veterans and Fallen Soldiers of the Malvinas War Day,” commemorating 43 years since the 1982 conflict with the United Kingdom.

Argentina continues to assert sovereignty over the islands, arguing that Britain unlawfully seized them in 1833.

“If sovereignty over the Malvinas is the issue, we have always made it clear that the most important vote is the one cast with one’s feet. We hope that one day, the Malvinas residents will choose to vote with their feet and join us,” Milei stated.

“That is why we aim to become a global power—so much so that they would prefer to be Argentine, making deterrence or persuasion unnecessary. This is why we have embarked on a path of liberation, working to make Argentina the freest country in the world and once again the nation with the highest GDP per capita on the planet,” he added.

Continue Reading

Trending

Central News