Connect with us

Central America

Amparo of the Constitutional Court of Guatemala annuls the suspension of Semilla’s legal status

Amparo of the Constitutional Court of Guatemala annuls the suspension of Semilla's legal status
Photo: República.gt

July 15 |

The Constitutional Court of Guatemala informed Thursday that it granted a provisional protection to Movimiento Semilla, which was requested by the party after the Seventh Court of Criminal Instance ordered the suspension of its legal status.

In a statement published in social networks, the Court explained that the protection opens the way for “the second electoral round (presidential) to take place on the indicated date and with the participation of the officialized candidates”.

These are the illegalities committed in Guatemala, according to ex-Attorney General 3:29
Earlier, Bernardo Arévalo, presidential candidate of Semilla, said that the injunction had been filed “in defense of democracy, institutionality and constitutionality”.

Sandra Torres, presidential candidate in Guatemala, will suspend her campaign in solidarity with the Seed Movement: We don’t want to take advantage of it.
On the other hand, the director of the Registry of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal, José Ramiro Muñoz, made known that they filed a constitutional action of amparo against the decision of the Seventh Court to suspend the legal status of Semilla, alleging that only the Tribunal can take this type of legal action.

Advertisement
20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL
previous arrow
next arrow

“(It is the) only entity in constitutional material, as the law states, to be able, suspend or cancel any political organization. That is why we have filed this constitutional action of amparo”, he said this Thursday in a press conference.

On Wednesday night, the head of the Special Prosecutor’s Office Against Impunity, Rafael Curruchiche, informed about this suspension against Semilla for the alleged falsification of citizens’ signatures for the party’s authorization process; the party rejected the accusation.

Sandoval lashes out against Porras and the Guatemalan Public Prosecutor’s Office 1:07
The decision unleashed several reactions, including the suspension of the electoral campaign of Sandra Torres, candidate of Unidad Nacional de la Esperanza (UNE), who would compete with Arévalo in the August 20 runoff.

“The Public Prosecutor’s Office is respectful of the resolutions of the Constitutional Court. However, as stated in the resolution, the same is “without prejudice to the powers of criminal prosecution that fall under the jurisdiction of the Public Ministry and regulated in Articles 251 of the Constitution of the Republic and 251 of the Electoral Law and Political Parties,” the Prosecutor’s Office told CNN about this decision of the Court.

Advertisement
20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading
Advertisement
20250301_vacunacion_vph-300x250
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_300x250
20231124_etesal_300x250_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_300X250
MARN1

Central America

Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping

A police officer was killed during riots provoked by an enraged mob in a Guatemalan town following the kidnapping of a baby, the government reported on Wednesday.

The incidents began on Tuesday night and continued into the early hours of Wednesday in the town of San Vicente Pacaya, about 25 km south of the capital, according to Minister of the Interior Francisco Jiménez.

“There was an incident in San Vicente Pacaya where, unfortunately, a police officer died after being struck in the head with a stone. He passed away this morning,” Jiménez said in a press conference.

He explained that the unrest erupted following the arrest of two suspects in connection with the kidnapping of “a baby just a few months old,” including a woman with a criminal record.

Continue Reading

Sports

Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain

Maduro calls on military to be alert to alleged plan by "fascist groups"

The Venezuelan government announced on Wednesday that it is investigating the case of 18 baseball players who are “under the supervision of Spanish authorities” after seeking protection.

In a statement, Venezuelan authorities said they are working to determine whether this case involves “a possible human trafficking scheme,” though they have not provided any evidence of such a crime.

The Venezuelan government emphasized its commitment to protecting the country’s athletes while also denouncing the use of international legal frameworks by certain governments allegedly seeking to discredit the administration.

CNN reached out to Spain’s National Police for a response to Venezuela’s claims. According to Spanish authorities, the 18 young athletes—including two minors—arrived in Spain to participate in a series of matches but had already planned to apply for asylum. Authorities confirmed on Tuesday that they had begun interviewing the players to process their international protection requests.

The team’s coach addressed the situation in a TikTok video, refuting local media reports that he had abandoned the athletes. He asserted that the players chose to remain in Barcelona to secure the necessary permits to sign with other teams and that their decision was unrelated to any political motivations.

Advertisement

20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL

previous arrow
next arrow

Continue Reading

Sports

Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo

A two-time Copa Libertadores champion with Flamengo during his playing days, Filipe Luis will make his managerial debut in the tournament this Thursday when the popular Rio de Janeiro club faces Venezuela’s Deportivo Táchira.

Placed in Group C alongside Táchira, Liga de Quito, and Argentina’s Central Córdoba, Flamengo starts as one of the favorites—a major challenge for the 39-year-old former player.

His early coaching career has been off to a strong start.

After retiring in 2023, Filipe Luis took over as Flamengo’s head coach on September 30. Just 41 days later, he won his first title, the Copa do Brasil. The year 2025 has already brought two more trophies: the Supercopa do Brasil, where Flamengo defeated Botafogo—current Libertadores and Brasileirão champions—3-1, and the Campeonato Carioca.

At 8:30 PM local time (00:30 GMT Friday), Flamengo under Filipe Luis will make its international debut at Estadio Pueblo Nuevo in San Cristóbal. Although Gerson, Uruguayan Giorgian de Arrascaeta, and Ecuadorian Gonzalo Plata are unavailable, the squad still boasts attacking firepower with Bruno Henrique and Everton.

Advertisement

20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL

previous arrow
next arrow

Continue Reading

Trending

Central News