Central America
Early childhood is a high priority for the Salvadoran government in the area of education

October 3 |
The public investment contemplated in the draft General State Budget for 2024 amounts to $1,790.5 million, and includes a strong commitment to the education system in general, and specifically, to the protection and comprehensive care of early childhood and adolescence, according to figures presented by the Ministry of Finance.
As part of the emblematic projects in public investment, the Government of President Nayib Bukele will allocate $245 million for the early childhood programs Crecer y Aprender Juntos, and Nacer, Aprender y Crecer, which will be executed by the Ministries of Education and Health.
All the early childhood work has been led by the First Lady of the Republic, Gabriela de Bukele, with the support of public institutions, with the purpose of settling the historical debts left by the ARENA and FMLN parties, which governed for 30 years.
As part of the work in early childhood, the first lady met last week at the Presidential House with Afshan Khan, United Nations undersecretary and coordinator of the Global Movement for the Promotion of Nutrition, to whom she presented the work of the Government of President Nayib Bukele in favor of this segment of the population.
At the end of the meeting, Khan highlighted the work done by the Government and the First Lady for early childhood and remarked that El Salvador is one of the few countries that invest in this area. “The program of the First Lady, Gabriela de Bukele, is one of the best child development programs I have ever seen,” said the UN official during her visit.
As part of the strategic bet, next year’s state budget also allocates $140 million for the educational reform Mi Nueva Escuela, in addition to $16 million for the improvement of educational environments and $75 million for the program Creciendo Saludables Juntos, whose main objective is the integral development of early childhood.
The educational reform Mi Nueva Escuela, announced by the President of the Republic in September 2022, is part of the government’s strategy to transform the public education system that was abandoned by previous governments. The change of school curricula and textbooks, as well as the incorporation of technology and the construction and reconstruction of educational spaces, nutrition and health are part of the axes of this reform.
The sociologist and teacher Mauricio Rodríguez considers that the Ministry of Finance has presented a “balanced” state budget project, with “strategic investment lines” to solve the needs in each of the social areas, including education in the public sector.
“In the area of education there is a strong component with respect to what we know as early childhood”, said the analyst, and recalled that, together with the investment component, the Government is already implementing the Nacer con Cariño Law and the Crecer Juntos (Grow Together) Law. Both regulations were proposed by the Executive and approved by the Legislative Assembly.
“It makes sense that the general State budget be oriented more towards these areas, to lay the foundations for a country with people of a different type of preparation. What previous governments did was to strengthen the intermediate levels [of the educational system] and forgot about the base [early childhood],” the teacher stated.
In public investment, the budget also allocates $69 million for the integrated health program, to continue improving care at all levels of the public system; and $257 million for the purchase of medicines, medical supplies and vaccines.
Also, $138 million was budgeted for the execution of municipal infrastructure works through the National Directorate of Municipal Works (DOM) and $182 million for the Los Chorros highway viaduct and widening project. ANDA will also receive $26.7 million to execute the water sector resiliency program in prioritized areas.
Central America
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping

A police officer was killed during riots provoked by an enraged mob in a Guatemalan town following the kidnapping of a baby, the government reported on Wednesday.
The incidents began on Tuesday night and continued into the early hours of Wednesday in the town of San Vicente Pacaya, about 25 km south of the capital, according to Minister of the Interior Francisco Jiménez.
“There was an incident in San Vicente Pacaya where, unfortunately, a police officer died after being struck in the head with a stone. He passed away this morning,” Jiménez said in a press conference.
He explained that the unrest erupted following the arrest of two suspects in connection with the kidnapping of “a baby just a few months old,” including a woman with a criminal record.
Sports
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain

The Venezuelan government announced on Wednesday that it is investigating the case of 18 baseball players who are “under the supervision of Spanish authorities” after seeking protection.
In a statement, Venezuelan authorities said they are working to determine whether this case involves “a possible human trafficking scheme,” though they have not provided any evidence of such a crime.
The Venezuelan government emphasized its commitment to protecting the country’s athletes while also denouncing the use of international legal frameworks by certain governments allegedly seeking to discredit the administration.
CNN reached out to Spain’s National Police for a response to Venezuela’s claims. According to Spanish authorities, the 18 young athletes—including two minors—arrived in Spain to participate in a series of matches but had already planned to apply for asylum. Authorities confirmed on Tuesday that they had begun interviewing the players to process their international protection requests.
The team’s coach addressed the situation in a TikTok video, refuting local media reports that he had abandoned the athletes. He asserted that the players chose to remain in Barcelona to secure the necessary permits to sign with other teams and that their decision was unrelated to any political motivations.
Sports
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo

A two-time Copa Libertadores champion with Flamengo during his playing days, Filipe Luis will make his managerial debut in the tournament this Thursday when the popular Rio de Janeiro club faces Venezuela’s Deportivo Táchira.
Placed in Group C alongside Táchira, Liga de Quito, and Argentina’s Central Córdoba, Flamengo starts as one of the favorites—a major challenge for the 39-year-old former player.
His early coaching career has been off to a strong start.
After retiring in 2023, Filipe Luis took over as Flamengo’s head coach on September 30. Just 41 days later, he won his first title, the Copa do Brasil. The year 2025 has already brought two more trophies: the Supercopa do Brasil, where Flamengo defeated Botafogo—current Libertadores and Brasileirão champions—3-1, and the Campeonato Carioca.
At 8:30 PM local time (00:30 GMT Friday), Flamengo under Filipe Luis will make its international debut at Estadio Pueblo Nuevo in San Cristóbal. Although Gerson, Uruguayan Giorgian de Arrascaeta, and Ecuadorian Gonzalo Plata are unavailable, the squad still boasts attacking firepower with Bruno Henrique and Everton.
-
International5 days ago
Son of journalist José Rubén Zamora condemns father’s return to prison as “illegal”
-
Central America2 days ago
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary urges Mexico to strengthen Guatemala border
-
International5 days ago
Miyazaki’s style goes viral with AI but at what cost?
-
Central America4 days ago
Panama police clarifies that Interpol alert for Martinelli is still pending
-
International2 days ago
Trump urges Putin to reach peace deal
-
Central America2 days ago
Panama grants Martinelli 72-hour extension to travel to Nicaragua
-
International19 hours ago
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal
-
International4 days ago
Deportation flight lands in Venezuela; government denies criminal gang links
-
Central America17 hours ago
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping
-
Sports20 hours ago
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo
-
International20 hours ago
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join
-
International20 hours ago
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders
-
Sports19 hours ago
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain
-
International20 hours ago
ICE agent’s arrest of suspect sparks controversy in Boston
-
International20 hours ago
Óscar Arias: Trump’s trade policies are a step backward