Central America
Demand resignation of Attorney General Consuelo Porras in Guatemala

October 6 |
Indigenous authorities and community representatives, students, teachers and people of Guatemala, demand this Thursday the immediate dismissal of Attorney General Consuelo Porras, accused of conspiring against democracy.
According to local reports, this is the fourth day of protests against the Attorney General and head of the Public Prosecutor’s Office, Consuelo Porras, by blocking roads and calling for a national strike.
For their part, the indigenous and ancestral authorities of Guatemala, including the Indigenous Groups of Mayan Descent, presented a document to be delivered to President Alejandro Giammattei, in order for Porras to be removed from her position.
Indigenous organizations from 48 cantons of the department (province) of Totonicapán (west) and other social organizations, including universities and some trade unions, started the protests last Monday, when road authorities reported the blockage of at least 15 highways in different parts of the country.
On the other hand, the president of 48 Cantones de Totonicapán, Luis Pacheco, requested the resignation of the prosecutor Rafael Curruchiche and the criminal judge Fredy Orellana, whom he accused of being involved in the electoral processes, and called the population to join the protests.
Likewise, they have referred that they will remain in the streets until Consuelo Porras is dismissed, whom they accuse of hindering the elections held this year in the nation, won by the social democrat party Movimiento Semilla, in the person of Bernardo Arévalo de León.
The Attorney General’s Office of Guatemala previously confiscated the voting records of the elections on September 30, an action which has generated accusations of illegality.
Central America
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping

A police officer was killed during riots provoked by an enraged mob in a Guatemalan town following the kidnapping of a baby, the government reported on Wednesday.
The incidents began on Tuesday night and continued into the early hours of Wednesday in the town of San Vicente Pacaya, about 25 km south of the capital, according to Minister of the Interior Francisco Jiménez.
“There was an incident in San Vicente Pacaya where, unfortunately, a police officer died after being struck in the head with a stone. He passed away this morning,” Jiménez said in a press conference.
He explained that the unrest erupted following the arrest of two suspects in connection with the kidnapping of “a baby just a few months old,” including a woman with a criminal record.
Sports
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain

The Venezuelan government announced on Wednesday that it is investigating the case of 18 baseball players who are “under the supervision of Spanish authorities” after seeking protection.
In a statement, Venezuelan authorities said they are working to determine whether this case involves “a possible human trafficking scheme,” though they have not provided any evidence of such a crime.
The Venezuelan government emphasized its commitment to protecting the country’s athletes while also denouncing the use of international legal frameworks by certain governments allegedly seeking to discredit the administration.
CNN reached out to Spain’s National Police for a response to Venezuela’s claims. According to Spanish authorities, the 18 young athletes—including two minors—arrived in Spain to participate in a series of matches but had already planned to apply for asylum. Authorities confirmed on Tuesday that they had begun interviewing the players to process their international protection requests.
The team’s coach addressed the situation in a TikTok video, refuting local media reports that he had abandoned the athletes. He asserted that the players chose to remain in Barcelona to secure the necessary permits to sign with other teams and that their decision was unrelated to any political motivations.
Sports
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo

A two-time Copa Libertadores champion with Flamengo during his playing days, Filipe Luis will make his managerial debut in the tournament this Thursday when the popular Rio de Janeiro club faces Venezuela’s Deportivo Táchira.
Placed in Group C alongside Táchira, Liga de Quito, and Argentina’s Central Córdoba, Flamengo starts as one of the favorites—a major challenge for the 39-year-old former player.
His early coaching career has been off to a strong start.
After retiring in 2023, Filipe Luis took over as Flamengo’s head coach on September 30. Just 41 days later, he won his first title, the Copa do Brasil. The year 2025 has already brought two more trophies: the Supercopa do Brasil, where Flamengo defeated Botafogo—current Libertadores and Brasileirão champions—3-1, and the Campeonato Carioca.
At 8:30 PM local time (00:30 GMT Friday), Flamengo under Filipe Luis will make its international debut at Estadio Pueblo Nuevo in San Cristóbal. Although Gerson, Uruguayan Giorgian de Arrascaeta, and Ecuadorian Gonzalo Plata are unavailable, the squad still boasts attacking firepower with Bruno Henrique and Everton.
-
International5 days ago
Son of journalist José Rubén Zamora condemns father’s return to prison as “illegal”
-
Central America2 days ago
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary urges Mexico to strengthen Guatemala border
-
International5 days ago
Miyazaki’s style goes viral with AI but at what cost?
-
Central America4 days ago
Panama police clarifies that Interpol alert for Martinelli is still pending
-
International2 days ago
Trump urges Putin to reach peace deal
-
Central America2 days ago
Panama grants Martinelli 72-hour extension to travel to Nicaragua
-
International20 hours ago
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal
-
International4 days ago
Deportation flight lands in Venezuela; government denies criminal gang links
-
Central America17 hours ago
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping
-
Sports20 hours ago
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo
-
International20 hours ago
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join
-
International20 hours ago
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders
-
Sports19 hours ago
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain
-
International20 hours ago
ICE agent’s arrest of suspect sparks controversy in Boston
-
International20 hours ago
Óscar Arias: Trump’s trade policies are a step backward