Central America
Environmentalists advance in closing copper mine in Panama

December 15 |
The formation of a technical committee to supervise the closure of the largest copper mine in Panama is moving forward in that Central American nation, according to the Panamanian Committee of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) last Tuesday.
This technical roundtable, which so far incorporates 101 people from different professional fields, has the purpose of “informing, accompanying, monitoring and being vigilant to the processes of closure of metal mining activity in the country in compliance with the legal provisions”, detailed the IUCN in a statement.
The formation of this oversight group was convened by IUCN last November 22. As it has been adding specialists, working groups were formed on specific topics.
The president of the IUCN, Ricardo Wong, explained during an interview that the technical committee is overseeing “that we have a closure that is as environmentally friendly as possible and that avoids harm to the population”.
He pointed out that the copper mine is currently paralyzed and awaiting a technical plan to deactivate it little by little without causing an environmental disaster.
He stated that closing the mine “is going to be complicated and will take years, effort by many and a lot of money to recover that area”, since now “the metal is exposed and reacts with the water turning it into acid, which if it reaches other areas has great impacts”.
The mine in question is the largest open-pit copper producer in Central America, and one of the largest in the world. It was operated by Minera Panama, a subsidiary of the Canadian company First Quantum Minerals.
It occupies some 13,600 hectares in the middle of the Panamanian forest, within the Mesoamerican Biological Corridor, an area of high biodiversity through which species travel from South America to North America. After months of massive protests, the Panamanian people forced its closure.
Central America
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping

A police officer was killed during riots provoked by an enraged mob in a Guatemalan town following the kidnapping of a baby, the government reported on Wednesday.
The incidents began on Tuesday night and continued into the early hours of Wednesday in the town of San Vicente Pacaya, about 25 km south of the capital, according to Minister of the Interior Francisco Jiménez.
“There was an incident in San Vicente Pacaya where, unfortunately, a police officer died after being struck in the head with a stone. He passed away this morning,” Jiménez said in a press conference.
He explained that the unrest erupted following the arrest of two suspects in connection with the kidnapping of “a baby just a few months old,” including a woman with a criminal record.
Sports
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain

The Venezuelan government announced on Wednesday that it is investigating the case of 18 baseball players who are “under the supervision of Spanish authorities” after seeking protection.
In a statement, Venezuelan authorities said they are working to determine whether this case involves “a possible human trafficking scheme,” though they have not provided any evidence of such a crime.
The Venezuelan government emphasized its commitment to protecting the country’s athletes while also denouncing the use of international legal frameworks by certain governments allegedly seeking to discredit the administration.
CNN reached out to Spain’s National Police for a response to Venezuela’s claims. According to Spanish authorities, the 18 young athletes—including two minors—arrived in Spain to participate in a series of matches but had already planned to apply for asylum. Authorities confirmed on Tuesday that they had begun interviewing the players to process their international protection requests.
The team’s coach addressed the situation in a TikTok video, refuting local media reports that he had abandoned the athletes. He asserted that the players chose to remain in Barcelona to secure the necessary permits to sign with other teams and that their decision was unrelated to any political motivations.
Sports
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo

A two-time Copa Libertadores champion with Flamengo during his playing days, Filipe Luis will make his managerial debut in the tournament this Thursday when the popular Rio de Janeiro club faces Venezuela’s Deportivo Táchira.
Placed in Group C alongside Táchira, Liga de Quito, and Argentina’s Central Córdoba, Flamengo starts as one of the favorites—a major challenge for the 39-year-old former player.
His early coaching career has been off to a strong start.
After retiring in 2023, Filipe Luis took over as Flamengo’s head coach on September 30. Just 41 days later, he won his first title, the Copa do Brasil. The year 2025 has already brought two more trophies: the Supercopa do Brasil, where Flamengo defeated Botafogo—current Libertadores and Brasileirão champions—3-1, and the Campeonato Carioca.
At 8:30 PM local time (00:30 GMT Friday), Flamengo under Filipe Luis will make its international debut at Estadio Pueblo Nuevo in San Cristóbal. Although Gerson, Uruguayan Giorgian de Arrascaeta, and Ecuadorian Gonzalo Plata are unavailable, the squad still boasts attacking firepower with Bruno Henrique and Everton.
-
International5 days ago
Son of journalist José Rubén Zamora condemns father’s return to prison as “illegal”
-
International5 days ago
Miyazaki’s style goes viral with AI but at what cost?
-
Central America3 days ago
Panama police clarifies that Interpol alert for Martinelli is still pending
-
Central America2 days ago
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary urges Mexico to strengthen Guatemala border
-
International2 days ago
Trump urges Putin to reach peace deal
-
Central America2 days ago
Panama grants Martinelli 72-hour extension to travel to Nicaragua
-
International3 days ago
Deportation flight lands in Venezuela; government denies criminal gang links
-
International18 hours ago
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal
-
Central America16 hours ago
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping
-
Sports18 hours ago
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo
-
International18 hours ago
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join
-
International18 hours ago
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders
-
Sports18 hours ago
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain
-
International19 hours ago
ICE agent’s arrest of suspect sparks controversy in Boston
-
International18 hours ago
Óscar Arias: Trump’s trade policies are a step backward