International
The collapse of a bridge in Baltimore due to the crash of a freighter causes six missing persons

The collision this Tuesday of a container ship against Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge caused the total collapse of that structure that crosses the Patapsco River and so far leaves six missing, in whose search federal, state and local agents are involved.
The event took place around 1:30 local time (5:30 GMT). The freighter Dali lost propulsion, according to the first indications, and ended up being embedded against the bridge, built in 1977, through which about 35,000 vehicles a day cross and which rose to fame in the past as the setting for the series ‘The Wire’.
The alert given by the ship itself allowed the entry of vehicles into the area to be stopped and lives were saved, but there were workers on the spot who were repairing the asphalt: two were injured, one of them serious, and six others are still missing.
At first there was talk of 20 people with unknown whereabouts, but that figure was lowered shortly after. In their search, a helicopter, three boats of the coast guard and teams of divers participate.
The Secretary of Transport of Maryland, Paul Wiedefeld, indicated that the low temperature of the water, its depth, of about 15 meters, and the darkness when the event occurred make the work difficult.
The priority is to find the missing, the mayor of Baltimore, Brandon Scott, told the press in one of the many appearances organized throughout the day to offer the latest details about what happened.
It is already known that there are no signs of a terrorist attack. The FBI is involved in the investigation, as every time there are events of this scope, and its special agent Bill Delbagno specified that there is no “specific or credible information that suggests that there are links to terrorism.”
Everything indicates that it was an accident. The Singaporean company Synergy Group, which operates the ship, announced that none of its 22 crew members were injured, while the Danish multinational Maersk confirmed that it had temporarily rented the ship, named Dali, and that it was transporting cargo from the company.
The Dali has a gross load capacity of 95,000 tons and 300 meters in length. In 2016, it hit the pier in the port of Antwerp (Belgium), according to Vessel Finder.
The port was paralyzed and only the loading and unloading activity of the trucks is allowed. The area is also blocked to traffic and the press, which can only be accessed about 1.6 kilometers away, from where you can see the ship blocked with its containers and the bridge turned into a tangle of steel.
The local authorities do not yet want to talk about the economic cost of the impact. “A bridge can be rebuilt, our focus is on the people,” said the mayor, while the governor of Maryland specified that not only will it be built again, but it will be made in memory of those affected.
The bridge that collapsed is the largest in the state of Maryland. It is 2,632 meters long and owes its name in honor of the poet Francis Scott Key, author of the lyrics of the American anthem.
Its construction began in 1972, its structure crosses the lower part of the Patapsco River between Hawkins Point and Sollers Point and runs through it the I-695 highway, whose traffic was diverted this Tuesday until further notice.
The governor of Maryland, who declared a state of emergency in the area, stressed today that the entire state is in “shock.”
Baltimore is its most populous city, with just over 600,000 inhabitants in the urban center and 2.7 million in its metropolitan area, and its port, located in Chesapeake Bay, is the most important in the United States for the trade in vehicles and agricultural equipment.
The president of the United States, Joe Biden, ordered the reconstruction of the collapsed bridge and the reopening of the port, now blocked, as soon as possible.
“I have ordered my team to move heaven and earth to reopen the port and rebuild the bridge as soon as humanly possible,” Biden said in an address.
The president also announced that the federal government will advance the funds to pay for the reconstruction of the bridge.
“We will send all the federal resources you need while we respond to this emergency. And I mean all federal resources. And we are going to rebuild this port together,” said the US president.
“My intention,” he added, “is for the federal government to pay the total cost of the reconstruction of that bridge. And I hope that Congress will support my effort.”
Biden later clarified that the idea is for the Government to advance the money until the responsibility of the container carrier is determined.
An inspection last June in the Chilean port of San Antonio found problems in the “propulsion and auxiliary machinery” of the Dali cargo engine, with the Singaporean flag and that on Tuesday caused the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in the port of Baltimore, according to the Equasis database consulted by EFE.
The inspection, dated June 27, 2021, found deficiencies in propulsion and more specifically in “measuring devices, thermometers, etc.”
Those problems caused two subsequent inspections, but the freighter, with 300 meters in length and capacity to carry 95,000 tons, was not stopped and was able to continue operating, after solving the deficiencies.
The Dali, which began operating in 2015, had another problem in its history, when in July 2016 it collided with a mooring in the port of Antwerp (Belgium) and suffered damage to the hull.
International
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal

Paraguay summoned the Brazilian ambassador in Asunción on Tuesday to demand “explanations” and called its own representative in Brasília for consultations following Brazil’s acknowledgment of an espionage operation. The Brazilian government, led by President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, attributed the operation to the previous administration.
The surveillance effort aimed to uncover Paraguay’s position in now-suspended negotiations with Brazil regarding the pricing of electricity from the binational Itaipú hydroelectric plant, according to reports in the Brazilian press.
The Brazilian government “categorically denied any involvement in the intelligence operation,” stating in a Foreign Ministry communiqué on Monday that the espionage was carried out under former President Jair Bolsonaro’s administration (2019-2023).
“The operation was authorized by the previous government in June 2022 and was annulled by the interim director of the (state intelligence agency) ABIN on March 27, 2023, as soon as the current administration became aware of it,” Brazil’s government asserted.
Paraguay’s Foreign Minister Rubén Ramírez announced that Brazilian Ambassador José Antonio Marcondes de Carvalho was summoned “to provide detailed explanations” regarding the operation. Additionally, Paraguay recalled its diplomatic representative in Brasília “to report on aspects related to the intelligence activity conducted by Brazil regarding Paraguay’s government affairs.”
International
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders

President Donald Trump has informed his inner circle that Elon Musk will be stepping down from his role as a government advisor, according to a report by Politico today.
Citing three individuals close to Trump, Politico states that the president is pleased with Musk’s leadership at the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), where he has implemented significant budget cuts. However, both have agreed that it is time for Musk to return to his businesses and support Trump from a different position outside the government.
A senior administration official told Politico that Musk will likely maintain an informal advisory role and continue to be an occasional visitor to the White House. Another source warned that anyone thinking Musk will completely disappear from Trump’s circle is “deluding themselves.”
According to the sources, this transition is expected to coincide with the end of Musk’s tenure as a “special government employee,” a temporary status that exempts him from certain ethics and conflict-of-interest regulations. This 130-day period is set to expire in late May or early June.
International
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join

Argentine President Javier Milei reaffirmed his country’s claim over the Falkland Islands (known as the Islas Malvinas in Argentina) and praised the role of the nation’s armed forces during a ceremony marking the “Veterans and Fallen Soldiers of the Malvinas War Day,” commemorating 43 years since the 1982 conflict with the United Kingdom.
Argentina continues to assert sovereignty over the islands, arguing that Britain unlawfully seized them in 1833.
“If sovereignty over the Malvinas is the issue, we have always made it clear that the most important vote is the one cast with one’s feet. We hope that one day, the Malvinas residents will choose to vote with their feet and join us,” Milei stated.
“That is why we aim to become a global power—so much so that they would prefer to be Argentine, making deterrence or persuasion unnecessary. This is why we have embarked on a path of liberation, working to make Argentina the freest country in the world and once again the nation with the highest GDP per capita on the planet,” he added.
-
International4 days ago
Son of journalist José Rubén Zamora condemns father’s return to prison as “illegal”
-
International4 days ago
Miyazaki’s style goes viral with AI but at what cost?
-
Central America3 days ago
Panama police clarifies that Interpol alert for Martinelli is still pending
-
Central America2 days ago
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary urges Mexico to strengthen Guatemala border
-
International2 days ago
Trump urges Putin to reach peace deal
-
Central America2 days ago
Panama grants Martinelli 72-hour extension to travel to Nicaragua
-
International3 days ago
Deportation flight lands in Venezuela; government denies criminal gang links
-
International12 hours ago
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal
-
Central America9 hours ago
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping
-
Sports12 hours ago
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo
-
International12 hours ago
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join
-
International12 hours ago
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders
-
Sports12 hours ago
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain
-
International12 hours ago
ICE agent’s arrest of suspect sparks controversy in Boston
-
International12 hours ago
Óscar Arias: Trump’s trade policies are a step backward