Connect with us

International

The Foreign Ministry of Chile protests against Colombia for Petro’s controversial statements about Jadue

The Foreign Minister of Chile, Alberto van Klaveren, delivered on Monday a harsh note of protest to Colombia in which he described as “unacceptable” and “imprudent” the statements of the president of this country, Gustavo Petro, who asked for the release of the mayor of the municipality of Recoleta in Santiago de Chile, the communist Daniel Jadue.

“They do not know the democratic trajectory of our country, as well as the existence of a rule of law,” the Chilean Minister of Foreign Affairs added in his account of X.

Petro said on his social networks that Jadue, in pretrial detention for more than a month accused of several crimes of corruption, is “prisoned by Pinochet’s jurisprudence imposed on free beings.”

In addition, he published a video of Gabriela Rivadeneira, one of the members of the International Justice Committee for Daniel Jadue, who demands his release and assures that imprisonment is because it can “end the great business of pharmaceutical companies.”

The president of Colombia released his statements on the same day that the hearing of review of the mayor’s precautionary measures was held at the request of the defense, but the court decided to keep the maximum and leave him in prison because he considers it “a danger to the security of society.”

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

In the morning, the spokeswoman for the Government of Chile, Camila Vallejo, said that Chile “has a rule of law” and “separation of powers,” and stressed that the changes in the Chilean political system “determine” by Chile, “not authorities from other countries.”

“The Executive cannot be giving its opinion, or less intervening on judicial proceedings that are underway, either for the commune of Recoleta or for another case,” he added.

Petro’s words put at risk the good relations between the governments of both countries and the mutual admiration that both presidents – Petro and that of Chile Gabriel Boric – have expressed several times.

Petro’s second and most recent visit to La Moneda in Chile took place in September last year, in the context of the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Augusto Pinochet’s coup d’état.

Jadue, a 56-year-old graduate in architecture and sociology of Arab origin, is one of the main leaders of Chilean communism. He played the presidential primaries of the left against Boric and, from his hand, the Communist Party settled on the front line of Chilean politics.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The politician of Chile is prosecuted for unfair administration, fraud, bribery, bankruptcy crime and tax fraud. All this within the framework of the management of the Chilean Association of Municipalities with Popular Pharmacies (Achifarp), of which he was president.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_300x250

Central America

Guatemala’s Attorney General Consuelo Porras Loses Bid for Constitutional Court Seat

Guatemala’s attorney general, Consuelo Porras, who has been sanctioned by the United States over corruption allegations, lost a key vote on Monday in which a public university selected two of the 10 magistrates for the country’s highest constitutional court. However, she could still seek a seat through another nominating body.

The election of five full magistrates and five alternates to the Corte de Constitucionalidad (CC) is taking place gradually over more than two months and is considered crucial in the ongoing struggle for control of Guatemala’s judiciary, which critics say has long been influenced by a political and economic elite accused of corruption.

According to results announced at a press conference, the governing council of the Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala (USAC) rejected Porras, who had applied as either a full or alternate magistrate, and instead chose two candidates aligned with the university rector. The vote was held at a hotel in Antigua, about 35 kilometers from the capital.

Despite the setback, Porras — whose term as attorney general ends on May 16 — could still be nominated to the Constitutional Court by the Corte Suprema de Justicia, which appoints two magistrates. The remaining six are selected by the president, the bar association and Congress.

“It’s always a possibility,” the 72-year-old lawyer said days earlier when asked by reporters whether she would seek nomination through another institution if she lost the USAC vote.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Porras has been sanctioned by Washington and the European Union for allegedly attempting two years ago to block the inauguration of President Bernardo Arévalo and for pursuing legal actions against anti-corruption prosecutors, judges, journalists and social leaders since taking office in 2018.

The USAC vote was controversial because most members of the university’s governing council are serving beyond the expiration of their terms. Students, academics and social activists staged protests against Porras’ candidacy.

Continue Reading

International

Florida judge sets 2027 trial in Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against BBC

A federal judge in Florida has scheduled February 2027 for the trial in the lawsuit filed by U.S. President Donald Trump against the BBC, in which he is seeking $10 billion in damages for defamation.

Trump accuses the British broadcaster of airing a misleading edit of a speech he delivered on January 6, 2021, which, he says, made it appear that he explicitly urged his supporters to attack the U.S. Capitol in Washington.

The president filed the suit in December in federal court in Florida, alleging defamation and violations of a law governing business practices when the program was broadcast ahead of the 2024 election.

Trump is seeking $5 billion in damages for each of the two claims.

Lawyers for the BBC unsuccessfully asked the court to dismiss the case, arguing that Trump had not suffered a “legally recognizable harm,” since the investigative program Panorama, which included the edited footage, aired outside the United States.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Head-of-state diplomacy key to guiding China–U.S. ties, Beijing says

Head-of-state diplomacy plays an irreplaceable strategic guiding role in China–United States relations, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said on Thursday during a regular press briefing, when asked about high-level exchanges between the two sides.

Lin added that in a recent phone call, U.S. President Donald Trump once again expressed his intention to visit China in April, while Chinese President Xi Jinping reiterated his invitation.

Both sides remain in communication regarding the matter, the spokesperson said.

Lin noted that the essence of China–U.S. economic and trade ties lies in mutual benefit and win-win outcomes.

“Both parties should work together to implement the important consensus reached by the two heads of state, injecting greater certainty and stability into China–U.S. economic and trade cooperation, as well as into the global economy,” he said.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

Trending

Central News