Connect with us

International

Thousands of followers of Evo Morales enter La Paz and demand his authorization as a candidate

The march led by the former president of Bolivia and official leader, Evo Morales (2006-2019), arrived this Monday in La Paz, after thousands of his followers joined him in the city of El Alto, to demand that he be qualified as a candidate for the 2025 elections, despite having a constitutional ban.

Morales, followed by miners and indigenous sectors in the front row, entered the city headquarters of the Government through the main highway that connects both cities on his seventh day of a walk that began on September 17 from the town of Caracollo, in the Andean region of Oruro, and that President Luis Arce described as a “coup d’état” against him.

The day before, there were some clashes in El Alto, between Morales’ followers and sectors that defend Arce, which left at least a dozen injured, according to the report of the Ministry of Health.

Freddy Mamani, a pro-government deputy related to Morales, reported that the demonstrators led by the former president will concentrate at the entrance of La Paz, near the highway, where they will read several petitions they have for the Arce Government.

“We are not going to threaten anyone, we are not going to enter Murillo Square, we are going to concentrate here where it will be a party to defend Bolivia,” he said in a statement on Radio Kawsachun Coca, half related to Morales.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

President Arce sent several public invitations to Morales to hold a dialogue, however the former president said he did not receive any invitation.

Morales’ followers maintain that it is a march to “save the homeland” in the face of problems such as the shortage of dollars and fuel and the increase in the price of some basic products, and they also demand that the resolutions of a congress of the Movement to Socialism (MAS) held last year – not recognized by the Electoral Court – in which they defined Morales’ candidacy be respected.

The Arce Government considers that the march promoted by Morales is a “coup d’état” that intends to remove him from power so that the head of the Senate, Andrónico Rodríguez, who is related to the former governor, assumes the Presidency of the country.

Morales and Arce have been separated since the end of 2021 due to differences in the State Administration that were deepened in the face of the need to renew the national leadership of the MAS, still in the hands of the former president, something on which the factions loyal to both have not been able to agree.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_300x250

International

Trump Defies Supreme Court With New 10% Global Tariff

Defiant in the face of a judicial setback, Donald Trump on Friday imposed a new across-the-board 10% tariff after the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that he does not have the authority to levy customs duties under the guise of a national emergency.

The Republican president signed the order in the Oval Office and announced on social media that the measure would take effect “almost immediately.” According to a statement from the White House, the decree will formally enter into force on February 24 for a period of 150 days.

It remains unclear whether the new tariff will apply to countries that have already negotiated trade agreements establishing rates higher than 10%.

Earlier in the day, the conservative-majority court ruled that a 1977 law cited by Trump to abruptly impose tariffs on individual countries — disrupting global trade — “does not authorize the president to impose tariffs.”

Trump said he was “deeply disappointed” by the decision and accused some justices of being influenced by “foreign interests.”

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Although he has made variable tariffs a cornerstone of his foreign policy, Trump acknowledged that it is uncertain whether the government will have to refund revenue already collected. A study by the University of Pennsylvaniaestimated that the amount at stake could reach as much as $175 billion.

“That issue was not addressed by the Court,” Trump told reporters, warning that the legal battle could drag on for “years.”

Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who dissented from the Court’s 6–3 majority opinion, cautioned that the legal process could become a “mess.”

Trump denied any error or haste in using tariffs as a policy tool, arguing instead that the six justices who ruled against him were motivated by “political correctness.” Vice President JD Vance wrote on X that the Court had acted “outside the law.”

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

U.S. Targets Members of Outgoing Boric Administration With Visa Revocations

The United States government announced on Friday the revocation of visas for three Chilean officials—whose identities were not initially disclosed—citing activities that allegedly “undermined regional security,” an accusation that Chile denies.

In a statement, the U.S. Department of State did not provide specific details about the individuals involved but criticized the outgoing administration of leftist President Gabriel Boric.

“The legacy of the Boric government will be further tarnished by actions that undermine regional security to the ultimate detriment of the Chilean people,” the statement read. It was signed by U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

Chile’s Minister of Transport, Juan Carlos Muñoz, later confirmed in a video message to the press that he is among those sanctioned.

“I was recently informed that my visa to enter the United States has been revoked by that country, which I deeply regret,” Muñoz said.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The U.S. statement also noted that Washington hopes to “advance shared priorities, including those that strengthen security in our hemisphere, with the upcoming Kast government.”

The electoral victory of ultraconservative leader José Antonio Kast was welcomed in Washington, which has been building alliances with like-minded governments in the region to reinforce its diplomatic and economic agenda—particularly in response to China’s growing investment presence in Latin America.

“We remain committed to promoting accountability for Chilean individuals who deliberately work to destabilize our hemisphere,” the statement concluded.

Continue Reading

International

Three Injured in Mail Package Explosion at Buenos Aires Gendarmerie Academy

Three people were injured on Friday after a mail package exploded at the Escuela Superior de Gendarmería in Buenos Aires, according to a statement released by Argentina’s Ministerio de Seguridad.

The explosion occurred at 1:49 p.m. local time (16:49 GMT) inside a building located less than one kilometer from the Government House, the ministry reported.

“Personnel from the force handled a parcel that had reportedly been received months earlier and was being stored at the facility. When it was opened, an explosion occurred, causing injuries to two officers,” the statement said.

The ministry added that both injured officers were transported to a hospital and are not in life-threatening condition. “A third officer remains in recovery and is out of danger,” authorities confirmed.

Following the incident, police cordoned off the surrounding area, halted traffic, and evacuated the 11-story building as well as adjacent buildings on the same block.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Mariana Bornio, an employee at a telecommunications company located in a neighboring building, said that as she was being evacuated, she saw one of the injured gendarmes leaving the scene shirtless and covered with a blue medical gown.

Continue Reading

Trending

Central News