International
New blow against Israel at the UN in an overwhelming vote in favor of the ceasefire

The UN General Assembly approved by an overwhelming majority two resolutions to which Israel opposes regarding the situation in the Palestinian territories: one, in favor of a ceasefire in Gaza, which received 158 votes in favor and 9 against, and another, in support of the mandate of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA), which was 159 votes in favor and 9 against.
A two-thirds majority was required to advance these non-binding resolutions, which represent another international blow for Israel and its traditional ally the United States, due to the brutality exercised in the Palestinian enclave and the international inability to stop hostilities.
Several Latin countries among the support for Israel at the UN
Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Hungary and the Czech Republic were the most prominent countries that voted on the side of Israel and the United States in their rejection of a ceasefire in Gaza.
Likewise, Albania, Cameroon, Georgia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Ukraine and several small island states abstained in this vote.
“These two resolutions have no logic and challenge any concept of morality (…) UNRWA is not a neutral actor, but an entity where Hamas infiltrates. It is an open secret, said the Israeli ambassador to the UN, Danny Danon, during the session.
The resolutions, which were co-sponsored by more than 50 countries around the world, follow the path previously traced by others ratified in the same assembly, where a ceasefire was already called for in December last year and the “end of the Israeli occupation” in September, although both with lower margins of support.
The US was isolated again
Today’s vote also comes after last month the US vetoed for the fourth time since October 7, 2023 another resolution in the UN Security Council for a ceasefire in Gaza, once again evidencing its international isolation in the United Nations with regard to Palestine.
“The lasting end to the war in Gaza must come with the release of the hostages. Hamas feels isolated by the ceasefire in Lebanon and supporting these two resolutions could send a dangerous message that it is not necessary to release them,” said the US deputy ambassador to the UN, Robert Wood.
And he added: “Israel’s struggle is against Hamas not with UNRWA (…), but the resolution has serious flaws, since it does not establish the way to restore trust between Israel and UNRWA,” thus justifying his new vote against.
Russia’s statement
For his part, the Russian ambassador to the UN, Vasili Nebenzia, directly blamed the United States for continuing the war in Gaza – where more than 44,800 people have already died and another 106,000 have been injured – for his inaction in the Security Council.
For Nebenzia, with his position the US sends “a clear message” that “if you are a (American) partner, you should not feel constrained by international law.”
Other Arab and Muslim countries, such as Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Iran or Turkey, also dedicated sharp speeches against Israel’s intervention in the Palestinian enclave, which has already lasted fourteen months with disastrous humanitarian consequences.
“We are witnesses of genocide and ethnic cleansing (…) This is a stain on humanity,” they said from the representation of Algeria in the UN.
The approval of these resolutions is not binding but, after them, the UN Secretary General, António Guterres, must issue a written assessment and a detailed report in the next 60 days with a short, medium and long-term plan that paves the way for the resolution of the conflict.
International
Javier Milei vows to work ‘side by side’ with the U.S. on trade rules

Determined to work “side by side” with the United States, Argentine President Javier Milei announced in Mar-a-Lagothat his government will modify trade regulations to meet the requirements of Donald Trump’s newly imposed tariffs.
Milei arrived in Florida amid the trade war triggered by the latest round of tariff hikes announced by the Republican leader. While many countries are considering retaliation, Milei’s ultraliberal Argentina has opted to adapt instead.
“Argentina will move forward in adjusting its regulations to comply with the reciprocal tariff proposal drafted by President Trump,” Milei stated at the Gala of American Patriots, organized by the Make America Clean Again (MACA) Foundation and the We Fund the Blue NGO, according to his office.
He further explained that Argentina has already met nine out of the 16 necessary requirements and has instructed his administration to comply with the remaining ones in order to resolve trade asymmetries with the U.S. in a short time frame.
International
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal

Paraguay summoned the Brazilian ambassador in Asunción on Tuesday to demand “explanations” and called its own representative in Brasília for consultations following Brazil’s acknowledgment of an espionage operation. The Brazilian government, led by President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, attributed the operation to the previous administration.
The surveillance effort aimed to uncover Paraguay’s position in now-suspended negotiations with Brazil regarding the pricing of electricity from the binational Itaipú hydroelectric plant, according to reports in the Brazilian press.
The Brazilian government “categorically denied any involvement in the intelligence operation,” stating in a Foreign Ministry communiqué on Monday that the espionage was carried out under former President Jair Bolsonaro’s administration (2019-2023).
“The operation was authorized by the previous government in June 2022 and was annulled by the interim director of the (state intelligence agency) ABIN on March 27, 2023, as soon as the current administration became aware of it,” Brazil’s government asserted.
Paraguay’s Foreign Minister Rubén Ramírez announced that Brazilian Ambassador José Antonio Marcondes de Carvalho was summoned “to provide detailed explanations” regarding the operation. Additionally, Paraguay recalled its diplomatic representative in Brasília “to report on aspects related to the intelligence activity conducted by Brazil regarding Paraguay’s government affairs.”
International
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders

President Donald Trump has informed his inner circle that Elon Musk will be stepping down from his role as a government advisor, according to a report by Politico today.
Citing three individuals close to Trump, Politico states that the president is pleased with Musk’s leadership at the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), where he has implemented significant budget cuts. However, both have agreed that it is time for Musk to return to his businesses and support Trump from a different position outside the government.
A senior administration official told Politico that Musk will likely maintain an informal advisory role and continue to be an occasional visitor to the White House. Another source warned that anyone thinking Musk will completely disappear from Trump’s circle is “deluding themselves.”
According to the sources, this transition is expected to coincide with the end of Musk’s tenure as a “special government employee,” a temporary status that exempts him from certain ethics and conflict-of-interest regulations. This 130-day period is set to expire in late May or early June.
-
International4 days ago
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal
-
Sports4 days ago
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo
-
Central America4 days ago
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping
-
International4 days ago
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders
-
Sports4 days ago
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain
-
International4 days ago
Óscar Arias: Trump’s trade policies are a step backward
-
Central America2 days ago
Panama’s former president Martinelli claims political enemies tried to kill him
-
International4 days ago
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join
-
International2 days ago
Javier Milei vows to work ‘side by side’ with the U.S. on trade rules
-
International4 days ago
ICE agent’s arrest of suspect sparks controversy in Boston