Connect with us

Central America

Panama: 776 drug packages bound for Spain were seized

On this day, Panamanian authorities reported the seizure of a drug stash inside a container. The drugs came from Guayaquil, Ecuador, and were bound for Spain. 776 packages of drugs were seized.

“The fight against the drug trafficking! In a joint operation between the National Aeronaval Service and personnel from the Attorney General’s Office, we seized 776 drug packages in Cristóbal Port, Province of Colón. #UnitedWeDoIt,” said the Ministry of Public Security via its Twitter account.

Abdiel García, Major of the National Aeronaval Service, stated that the seized shipment comprises “11 packages containing 776 packages.” These have an illicit substance that was not specified. Nor was the total weight of the shipment indicated.

He added that so far this year they have seized 41,828 packages of drugs in 78 operations.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20250301_vacunacion_vph-300x250
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_300x250
20231124_etesal_300x250_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_300X250
MARN1

Central America

Panama’s former president Martinelli claims political enemies tried to kill him

Former Panamanian President Ricardo Martinelli claimed on Friday that his political enemies intended to kill him once he departed for Nicaragua. Martinelli has been sheltering in Nicaragua’s embassy in Panama City for over a year to evade a money laundering conviction.

“They wanted to kill me,” Martinelli stated in a social media post, without specifying who he was referring to. His remarks came after the safe-conduct pass granted by the Panamanian government for his travel to Managua expired at midnight on Thursday.

In a statement, Panama’s Foreign Ministry announced that the permit had expired without Nicaragua officially agreeing to receive the former president. According to Martinelli, Nicaraguan authorities reconsidered the transfer, suspecting it was an “ambush” or a “trap.”

“It was a vile trap they were trying to set up. On one hand, they pretended to offer me a way out, but on the other, they wanted to ruin me by inventing all sorts of accusations,” Martinelli added, thanking Nicaragua and confirming that he will remain in asylum.

Continue Reading

Central America

Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping

A police officer was killed during riots provoked by an enraged mob in a Guatemalan town following the kidnapping of a baby, the government reported on Wednesday.

The incidents began on Tuesday night and continued into the early hours of Wednesday in the town of San Vicente Pacaya, about 25 km south of the capital, according to Minister of the Interior Francisco Jiménez.

“There was an incident in San Vicente Pacaya where, unfortunately, a police officer died after being struck in the head with a stone. He passed away this morning,” Jiménez said in a press conference.

He explained that the unrest erupted following the arrest of two suspects in connection with the kidnapping of “a baby just a few months old,” including a woman with a criminal record.

Continue Reading

Sports

Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain

Maduro calls on military to be alert to alleged plan by "fascist groups"

The Venezuelan government announced on Wednesday that it is investigating the case of 18 baseball players who are “under the supervision of Spanish authorities” after seeking protection.

In a statement, Venezuelan authorities said they are working to determine whether this case involves “a possible human trafficking scheme,” though they have not provided any evidence of such a crime.

The Venezuelan government emphasized its commitment to protecting the country’s athletes while also denouncing the use of international legal frameworks by certain governments allegedly seeking to discredit the administration.

CNN reached out to Spain’s National Police for a response to Venezuela’s claims. According to Spanish authorities, the 18 young athletes—including two minors—arrived in Spain to participate in a series of matches but had already planned to apply for asylum. Authorities confirmed on Tuesday that they had begun interviewing the players to process their international protection requests.

The team’s coach addressed the situation in a TikTok video, refuting local media reports that he had abandoned the athletes. He asserted that the players chose to remain in Barcelona to secure the necessary permits to sign with other teams and that their decision was unrelated to any political motivations.

Advertisement
20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

Trending

Central News