International
South African court says Zuma can appeal return to jail
AFP
South Africa’s former president Jacob Zuma can appeal a court ruling last week that he should not enjoy medical parole and should return to jail.
High Court Judge Elias Matojane ruled last Wednesday that the September decision to place the 79-year-old on medical parole was “unlawful”.
The same judge on Tuesday decided to allow an appeal.
“In my view, this matter merits the Supreme Court of Appeal’s attention,” he said at the end of a virtual hearing.
He said another court may find that Zuma should be treated with “compassion, empathy and humanity” because of his ill health and advanced age.
The former president was handed a 15-month jail sentence in July for contempt of court after he refused to give testimony to corruption investigators.
His jailing sparked violent protests and looting in his home province of KwaZulu-Natal that spread to South Africa’s financial hub Johannesburg in July, claiming more than 350 lives.
It was the deadliest violence in South Africa since the end of white-minority rule in 1994.
The former president was granted medical parole on September 5, but the exact reasons were never revealed. He has since returned to his $17 million estate in rural Nkandla.
While he was in prison, he was taken to hospital for surgery to treat an undisclosed ailment.
Central America
Guatemala’s Attorney General Consuelo Porras Loses Bid for Constitutional Court Seat
Guatemala’s attorney general, Consuelo Porras, who has been sanctioned by the United States over corruption allegations, lost a key vote on Monday in which a public university selected two of the 10 magistrates for the country’s highest constitutional court. However, she could still seek a seat through another nominating body.
The election of five full magistrates and five alternates to the Corte de Constitucionalidad (CC) is taking place gradually over more than two months and is considered crucial in the ongoing struggle for control of Guatemala’s judiciary, which critics say has long been influenced by a political and economic elite accused of corruption.
According to results announced at a press conference, the governing council of the Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala (USAC) rejected Porras, who had applied as either a full or alternate magistrate, and instead chose two candidates aligned with the university rector. The vote was held at a hotel in Antigua, about 35 kilometers from the capital.
Despite the setback, Porras — whose term as attorney general ends on May 16 — could still be nominated to the Constitutional Court by the Corte Suprema de Justicia, which appoints two magistrates. The remaining six are selected by the president, the bar association and Congress.
“It’s always a possibility,” the 72-year-old lawyer said days earlier when asked by reporters whether she would seek nomination through another institution if she lost the USAC vote.
Porras has been sanctioned by Washington and the European Union for allegedly attempting two years ago to block the inauguration of President Bernardo Arévalo and for pursuing legal actions against anti-corruption prosecutors, judges, journalists and social leaders since taking office in 2018.
The USAC vote was controversial because most members of the university’s governing council are serving beyond the expiration of their terms. Students, academics and social activists staged protests against Porras’ candidacy.
International
Florida judge sets 2027 trial in Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against BBC
A federal judge in Florida has scheduled February 2027 for the trial in the lawsuit filed by U.S. President Donald Trump against the BBC, in which he is seeking $10 billion in damages for defamation.
Trump accuses the British broadcaster of airing a misleading edit of a speech he delivered on January 6, 2021, which, he says, made it appear that he explicitly urged his supporters to attack the U.S. Capitol in Washington.
The president filed the suit in December in federal court in Florida, alleging defamation and violations of a law governing business practices when the program was broadcast ahead of the 2024 election.
Trump is seeking $5 billion in damages for each of the two claims.
Lawyers for the BBC unsuccessfully asked the court to dismiss the case, arguing that Trump had not suffered a “legally recognizable harm,” since the investigative program Panorama, which included the edited footage, aired outside the United States.
International
Head-of-state diplomacy key to guiding China–U.S. ties, Beijing says
Head-of-state diplomacy plays an irreplaceable strategic guiding role in China–United States relations, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said on Thursday during a regular press briefing, when asked about high-level exchanges between the two sides.
Lin added that in a recent phone call, U.S. President Donald Trump once again expressed his intention to visit China in April, while Chinese President Xi Jinping reiterated his invitation.
Both sides remain in communication regarding the matter, the spokesperson said.
Lin noted that the essence of China–U.S. economic and trade ties lies in mutual benefit and win-win outcomes.
“Both parties should work together to implement the important consensus reached by the two heads of state, injecting greater certainty and stability into China–U.S. economic and trade cooperation, as well as into the global economy,” he said.
-
International5 days agoHead-of-state diplomacy key to guiding China–U.S. ties, Beijing says
-
International5 days agoFlorida judge sets 2027 trial in Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against BBC
-
Central America2 days agoGuatemala’s president denounces MP raids during Constitutional Court election
-
International5 days agoTrump administration to end special immigration operation in Minnesota
-
Central America2 days agoTeens visit ETESAL substation to learn about responsible energy use
-
Central America10 hours agoGuatemala’s Attorney General Consuelo Porras Loses Bid for Constitutional Court Seat























