Sports
Suzuki in talks to quit MotoGP in 2022: company
AFP
Suzuki announced on Thursday they want to quit MotoGP and are holding talks with the championship promoters Dorna over breaking their contract.
“Suzuki Motor Corporation is in discussions with Dorna regarding the possibility of ending its participation in MotoGP at the end of 2022,” Suzuki said in a statement.
“Unfortunately, the current economical (sic) situation and the need to concentrate its effort on the big changes that the Automotive world is facing in these years, are forcing Suzuki to shift costs and human resources to develop new technologies.”
Only last week Dorna said Suzuki had to stick to their contract — which runs to 2026 — when rumours first surfaced that the Japanese manufacturer wanted to pull out.
If the talks are successful it will be the second time Suzuki have quit the elite competition.
Suzuki left MotoGP at the end of 2011, before returning in 2015.
In the 500cc era, Barry Sheene, Marco Lucchinelli, Franco Uncini, Kevin Schwantz and Kenny Roberts Jr. won world titles riding Suzukis.
Since the company returned in 2015, they have won one rider title in 2020 when Joan Mir topped the standings with team-mate Alex Rins was third.
Rins is fourth in this season’s standings with Mir sixth heading into this weekend’s French race.
Last week specialist site Motorsports.com, who broke the story, said Mir was likely to join Honda to replace Pol Espargaro.
While they won the team championship in 2020, Suzuki struggle in the separate manufacturers’ standings because, unlike Ducati, Yamaha, Honda and KTM, they do not have a satellite team.
In the current format, there are 24 bikes on the starting grid in each race, although wildcard entries increased that to 25 in the last two races.
Ducati have eight bikes on the grid this season. Suzuki and Aprilia are the only manufacturers with just two bikes on the starting grid.
The 24-bike format is fixed until 2026, when the current contract between the International Motorcycling Federation, Dorna and the International Racing Team Association, which represents the six manufacturers, ends.
Sports
Shakira ignites El Salvador with near sold-out residency at Mágico González Stadium
The recently renovated Jorge “Mágico” González Stadium is rolling out the red carpet for Colombian superstar Shakira, whose string of concerts has sold out almost entirely, confirming the powerful bond between the artist and Salvadoran fans.
The scale of the experience begins as soon as attendees arrive at the venue. Outside the stadium, organizers have installed several photo spots so concertgoers can capture a souvenir from the major event.
Fans attending the Las Mujeres Ya No Lloran World Tour will witness a top-tier visual production, where technology and robotic lighting effects will shape an atmosphere that shifts dramatically from one segment of the show to another — moving from the intensity of ’90s rock to the festive explosion of urban pop.
Security and crowd management have been top priorities, with a coordinated operation aimed at ensuring smooth entry and exit, allowing spectators to focus solely on enjoying hits that have defined generations.
Beyond the music, the event marks a milestone for the country’s live-entertainment industry, positioning El Salvador as a destination capable of hosting artist residencies once reserved for cities such as Las Vegas or London.
The excitement is already visible across the capital: hotels are at full capacity and local businesses are riding the wave of enthusiasm sparked by the latest songs from the Colombian star.
Central America
El Salvador to host World Cup qualifiers vs. Guatemala and Panama at Estadio Cuscatlán
El Salvador’s national football team will host its final round World Cup qualifying matches against Guatemala and Panama at Estadio Cuscatlán, the honorary president of the National Sports Institute (INDES), Yamil Bukele, announced Thursday via a statement on his X account.
The official explained that this decision comes after the American rock band Guns N’ Roses, originally scheduled to perform at Estadio Cuscatlán on Saturday, October 4, will now hold their concert at Estadio Jorge “El Mágico” González. This change allows both of La Selecta’s qualifying matches to be played at the “Coloso de Monserrat.”
“After a series of efforts and in response to popular demand, we are pleased to announce that our senior national team’s CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches next October (Oct. 10 vs. Panama and Oct. 14 vs. Guatemala) will take place at Estadio Cuscatlán,” the statement reads.
Bukele also thanked the event promoters and the band for agreeing to the stadium change. “We sincerely thank Guns N’ Roses and StarTicket for agreeing to move the concert originally scheduled for October 4 at Estadio Cuscatlán,” the statement adds.
Additionally, Bukele expressed gratitude to the FESFUT Regularization Commission for their efforts with CONCACAF to make this possible, and he urged fans to stay tuned to official channels to purchase tickets and support La Selecta in their World Cup qualifying campaign.
Central America
El Salvador featured in El País: A rising star in Central American tourism
El Salvador’s tourism industry continues to gain international recognition, this time featured in a comprehensive article by the Spanish newspaper El País. In its travel section, El Viajero, the outlet published an extensive report titled “Everything Hidden in El Salvador: From Hosting the Pompeii of the Americas to Becoming the New Surf Paradise”, highlighting the country’s top attractions and its growing reputation as an emerging destination in Central America.
According to the report, El Salvador offers “three undeniable reasons to attract travelers: its volcanoes, Mayan archaeological sites, and exceptional beaches — not to mention its cuisine and wildlife.” The Spanish publication emphasizes that, despite being the smallest country in the region, El Salvador has stood out in recent years as an alternative to overcrowded destinations, attracting celebrities and international tourists seeking a quieter, more exclusive escape with perfect waves.
El País also notes that, after “a period of instability, the country is now safe, its roads are in excellent condition (even better than in neighboring countries), and visitors can enjoy its natural landscapes, wild beaches, volcanic scenery, hot springs, Mayan ruins, and even one of the best coffees in the Americas.” One of the country’s biggest advantages, the article adds, is its compact size, allowing travelers to explore mountains, beaches, and the capital all in a single day.
The report dedicates significant space to San Salvador, describing the capital as “a showcase of Salvadoran culture, identity, and diversity.” It highlights the National Museum of Anthropology (MUNA), the Museum of Modern Art (MARTE), and the National Library (BINAES), calling the latter “a cultural landmark and symbol of technological innovation” thanks to its virtual reality spaces, robotics labs, and 5G connectivity.
Gastronomy also plays a central role in the feature. El País praises the country’s iconic pupusas, while also mentioning yuca with chicharrón, elote tamales, and horchata. It recommends visiting the famous “Pupusódromo of Olocuilta”and several high-end restaurants in San Salvador, such as Nau and Faisca do Brazil, as well as the diverse dining options along El Hipódromo Avenue.
Finally, the article showcases some of El Salvador’s natural and cultural gems, including San Salvador Volcano, Lake Coatepeque, and the archaeological sites of Joya de Cerén — a UNESCO World Heritage Site — along with Tazumaland San Andrés. It also highlights Ruta de las Flores and Suchitoto, praised for their colonial charm and vibrant cultural offerings.
-
Central America3 days agoWashington Imposes Visa Ban on La Modelo Director Amid Crackdown in Nicaragua
-
International3 days agoTop U.S. Military Commander Meets Interim Venezuelan Leaders After Maduro’s Capture
-
International5 days agoFather Faces Murder Charges in Georgia School Shooting Case
-
International3 days agoBayly Says Trump ‘Gets Along Better With Dictators’ and Criticizes U.S.–Venezuela Policy
-
International3 days agoRubio Engages in Quiet Discussions With Castro Family as U.S. Pressures Havana
-
International3 days agoMaduro and Cilia Flores Receive Consular Visit in U.S. Jail Ahead of March 26 Hearing
-
International1 day agoThree Injured in Mail Package Explosion at Buenos Aires Gendarmerie Academy
-
International1 day agoU.S. Targets Members of Outgoing Boric Administration With Visa Revocations
-
International18 hours agoTrump Defies Supreme Court With New 10% Global Tariff
-
International5 days agoSpanish Government Targets ‘Big Tech Impunity’ in AI Image Scandal
-
Sin categoría3 days agoFormer South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol Sentenced to Life for Insurrection























