International
Obama says democracy at stake in US midterms
| By AFP |
Former US president Barack Obama said Friday that democracy is at stake in next month’s midterm elections in the United States, as he hit his first stop on the campaign trail.
The Democratic power player, who remains a hugely popular figure in his party, told a boisterous rally in Georgia that everyone had to get out and vote to prevent election conspiracy theorists getting their hands on the levers of power.
“It’s not enough to elect Democrats at the top of the ticket,” a fired-up Obama told the crowd in the suburbs of Atlanta.
“We need to elect good people up and down the ballot. Across the country, some of the folks who tried to undermine our democracy are running for offices that will oversee the next election.
“And if they win, there’s no telling what might happen.”
Obama, who has kept a relatively low profile since leaving office in 2017, was guest of honor at the rally in Georgia, where two extremely close contests, fueled by tens of millions of dollars, are captivating America.
Democrat Raphael Warnock, the first Black US senator elected in the southern state with a long history of segregation, is seeking re-election against Herschel Walker, a former American football star backed by Donald Trump.
The contest could well decide which party gets control of the US Senate — and the ability to advance or frustrate President Joe Biden’s agenda.
There is also a fierce battle for the governor’s office, where Republican Brian Kemp is up against influential Democratic figure Stacey Abrams.
As well as hammering the Republican Party on electoral integrity and the Trump-driven false claims that the 2020 presidential ballot was rigged, Obama also touched on abortion rights, which have been threatened since the Supreme Court overturned the long-standing Roe vs. Wade.
“Women everywhere should be able to control have a say in what happens with their own bodies,” he said.
“It shouldn’t be controversial to say that the most personal of healthcare choices should be made by a woman and her doctor. Not by a bunch of mostly male politicians.”
Americans have already begun voting in elections that will decide control of both houses of Congress, as well as who gets the governors’ mansions in dozens of states.
Hundreds of other positions at county and state level will also be decided in the November 8 polls.
International
Trump Defies Supreme Court With New 10% Global Tariff
Defiant in the face of a judicial setback, Donald Trump on Friday imposed a new across-the-board 10% tariff after the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that he does not have the authority to levy customs duties under the guise of a national emergency.
The Republican president signed the order in the Oval Office and announced on social media that the measure would take effect “almost immediately.” According to a statement from the White House, the decree will formally enter into force on February 24 for a period of 150 days.
It remains unclear whether the new tariff will apply to countries that have already negotiated trade agreements establishing rates higher than 10%.
Earlier in the day, the conservative-majority court ruled that a 1977 law cited by Trump to abruptly impose tariffs on individual countries — disrupting global trade — “does not authorize the president to impose tariffs.”
Trump said he was “deeply disappointed” by the decision and accused some justices of being influenced by “foreign interests.”
Although he has made variable tariffs a cornerstone of his foreign policy, Trump acknowledged that it is uncertain whether the government will have to refund revenue already collected. A study by the University of Pennsylvaniaestimated that the amount at stake could reach as much as $175 billion.
“That issue was not addressed by the Court,” Trump told reporters, warning that the legal battle could drag on for “years.”
Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who dissented from the Court’s 6–3 majority opinion, cautioned that the legal process could become a “mess.”
Trump denied any error or haste in using tariffs as a policy tool, arguing instead that the six justices who ruled against him were motivated by “political correctness.” Vice President JD Vance wrote on X that the Court had acted “outside the law.”
International
U.S. Targets Members of Outgoing Boric Administration With Visa Revocations
The United States government announced on Friday the revocation of visas for three Chilean officials—whose identities were not initially disclosed—citing activities that allegedly “undermined regional security,” an accusation that Chile denies.
In a statement, the U.S. Department of State did not provide specific details about the individuals involved but criticized the outgoing administration of leftist President Gabriel Boric.
“The legacy of the Boric government will be further tarnished by actions that undermine regional security to the ultimate detriment of the Chilean people,” the statement read. It was signed by U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
Chile’s Minister of Transport, Juan Carlos Muñoz, later confirmed in a video message to the press that he is among those sanctioned.
“I was recently informed that my visa to enter the United States has been revoked by that country, which I deeply regret,” Muñoz said.
The U.S. statement also noted that Washington hopes to “advance shared priorities, including those that strengthen security in our hemisphere, with the upcoming Kast government.”
The electoral victory of ultraconservative leader José Antonio Kast was welcomed in Washington, which has been building alliances with like-minded governments in the region to reinforce its diplomatic and economic agenda—particularly in response to China’s growing investment presence in Latin America.
“We remain committed to promoting accountability for Chilean individuals who deliberately work to destabilize our hemisphere,” the statement concluded.
International
Three Injured in Mail Package Explosion at Buenos Aires Gendarmerie Academy
Three people were injured on Friday after a mail package exploded at the Escuela Superior de Gendarmería in Buenos Aires, according to a statement released by Argentina’s Ministerio de Seguridad.
The explosion occurred at 1:49 p.m. local time (16:49 GMT) inside a building located less than one kilometer from the Government House, the ministry reported.
“Personnel from the force handled a parcel that had reportedly been received months earlier and was being stored at the facility. When it was opened, an explosion occurred, causing injuries to two officers,” the statement said.
The ministry added that both injured officers were transported to a hospital and are not in life-threatening condition. “A third officer remains in recovery and is out of danger,” authorities confirmed.
Following the incident, police cordoned off the surrounding area, halted traffic, and evacuated the 11-story building as well as adjacent buildings on the same block.
Mariana Bornio, an employee at a telecommunications company located in a neighboring building, said that as she was being evacuated, she saw one of the injured gendarmes leaving the scene shirtless and covered with a blue medical gown.
-
Central America3 days agoWashington Imposes Visa Ban on La Modelo Director Amid Crackdown in Nicaragua
-
International4 days agoFather Faces Murder Charges in Georgia School Shooting Case
-
International2 days agoTop U.S. Military Commander Meets Interim Venezuelan Leaders After Maduro’s Capture
-
International3 days agoBayly Says Trump ‘Gets Along Better With Dictators’ and Criticizes U.S.–Venezuela Policy
-
International3 days agoRubio Engages in Quiet Discussions With Castro Family as U.S. Pressures Havana
-
International3 days agoMaduro and Cilia Flores Receive Consular Visit in U.S. Jail Ahead of March 26 Hearing
-
International17 hours agoThree Injured in Mail Package Explosion at Buenos Aires Gendarmerie Academy
-
International16 hours agoU.S. Targets Members of Outgoing Boric Administration With Visa Revocations
-
International4 days agoSpanish Government Targets ‘Big Tech Impunity’ in AI Image Scandal
-
Sin categoría2 days agoFormer South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol Sentenced to Life for Insurrection
-
Central America5 days agoGuatemala’s Attorney General Consuelo Porras Loses Bid for Constitutional Court Seat
-
International32 minutes agoTrump Defies Supreme Court With New 10% Global Tariff























