Connect with us

International

Pro-Bolsonaro protests dwindle as Brazil handover starts

Andre Borges / AFP

| By AFP |

Brazilian police said Friday they had nearly finished clearing hundreds of roadblocks by supporters of far-right President Jair Bolsonaro, who have been protesting since his election loss to veteran leftist Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

After Lula’s narrow victory Sunday, Bolsonaro supporters blocked highways and camped out at army bases to demand a military intervention to keep the defeated incumbent in power.

“All federal highways are now free of roadblocks,” though five partial closures that don’t impede traffic remain in two of Brazil’s 27 states, federal highway police said.

The blockades threatened to cause havoc in Latin America’s largest economy, but diminished since Bolsonaro urged supporters Wednesday to “unblock the roads.” Police have broken up more than 960 roadblocks, they said.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Pro-Bolsonaro protests outside military bases had dwindled in Brasilia Friday morning to just 100 — while in Sao Paulo there remained about 300 and all had cleared out in Rio de Janeiro, AFP correspondents said.

Ex-army captain Bolsonaro was silent for nearly two days after the election, raising fears he would try to cling to power with the backing of hardline supporters.

But after a series of key allies acknowledged the result, he said Tuesday he would respect the constitution, and authorized the start of the transition process for Lula’s inauguration on January 1. But Bolsonaro has still not explicitly conceded defeat nor congratulated Lula.

The outgoing president met briefly Thursday with vice president-elect Geraldo Alckmin, who is heading Lula’s transition team.

Alckmin said the meeting had been “positive,” and that Bolsonaro had promised “all information and assistance needed for a smooth transition.” Although Bolsonaro urged supporters to lift their roadblocks, he also encouraged “legitimate demonstrations,” raising fears Brazil may still face turbulence.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

In the latest violent incident linked to the divisive election campaign, a 12-year-old girl shot at a Lula victory party in the city of Belo Horizonte died Thursday of her wounds.

Ex-metalworker Lula, 77, who led Brazil from 2003 to 2010, won an unprecedented third term with 50.9 percent of the vote, to 49.1 percent for Bolsonaro — the closest presidential election in the country’s modern history.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_300x250

International

Bayly Says Trump ‘Gets Along Better With Dictators’ and Criticizes U.S.–Venezuela Policy

Peruvian author and journalist Jaime Bayly said Tuesday in Madrid that U.S. President Donald Trump “gets along better with dictators than he does with democrats” and that his administration is experiencing “a honeymoon with the Venezuelan dictatorship,” according to a report on his remarks during the launch of his new novel Los golpistas (Galaxia Gutenberg).

Bayly made the comments while presenting the book, which reconstructs the turbulent three days in April 2002 when Venezuelan leader Hugo Chávez briefly lost power. He also sharply criticized the current Venezuelan leadership, saying that Delcy Rodríguez should be recognized as a dictator and “a continuation of Maduro’s dictatorship.”

The writer lamented that the failed 2002 coup — which he described as carried out by “amateurs” — did not lead to free elections that might have restored democracy to Venezuela. He argued that, even now, U.S. policy under Trump seems more focused on securing access to Venezuelan oil than on supporting Venezuelans’ freedom. “Venezuela could have chosen a free, clean and legitimate government — which we still impatiently await despite Trump, who only seems interested in freeing Venezuelan oil, not Venezuelans,” Bayly said.

Bayly also claimed that “every day that passes, Trump seems more enchanted with Delcy,” suggesting that Washington might leave Venezuelan leaders in power so long as they cooperate on economic interests.

A U.S. citizen who has lived in Miami for decades, Bayly said he is proud never to have voted for Trump, whom he described as “servile with the powerful and cruel with the weak.” He also criticized U.S. immigration enforcement as abusive.

Advertisement

20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90

previous arrow
next arrow

Regarding the book’s creative process, Bayly said he combined extensive documentation and interviews with historical events, weaving fictional dialogue and narrative into real episodes without altering core facts. Los golpistas explores why the April 2002 coup attempt against Chávez failed and how key figures such as Chávez and Cuban leader Fidel Castroshaped modern Venezuelan history.

Continue Reading

International

Maduro and Cilia Flores Receive Consular Visit in U.S. Jail Ahead of March 26 Hearing

Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, who is detained in the United States, and his wife, Cilia Flores, received a consular visit from a Venezuelan government official on January 30 while they remain in a New York jail awaiting their next court appearance, scheduled for March 26, 2026, according to a court filing.

The notification, submitted to the judge by prosecutors and the defense and now part of the digital case file, states that Maduro and Flores were visited by “an official representing the Republic of Venezuela to help facilitate any services the accused needed.”

The document also notes that U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein ordered the U.S. prosecutor’s office at the couple’s first court appearance on January 5 to ensure they had access to consular services and to inform the court when such access was provided.

Their next hearing was postponed by the court from an original date of March 17 to March 26 at 11:00 a.m., after prosecutors, with the consent of the defense, requested extra time to gather evidence, allow the defense to review it, and determine which pretrial motions they will file, the filing says.

Maduro has denied wrongdoing, calling himself “innocent” of the narcotics charges authorities have brought in federal court.

Advertisement

20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90

previous arrow
next arrow

Continue Reading

International

Rubio Engages in Quiet Discussions With Castro Family as U.S. Pressures Havana

El secretario de Estado de Estados Unidos, Marco Rubio, sostuvo conversaciones secretas con Raúl Guillermo Rodríguez Castro, nieto y actual cuidador del expresidente cubano Raúl Castro, según reveló este miércoles el medio estadounidense Axios. Los contactos se producen en un contexto de fuerte presión de Washington sobre el Gobierno de La Habana.

De acuerdo con la publicación, los diálogos han evitado los canales oficiales del Ejecutivo cubano y reflejan que la administración del Presidente de Estados Unidos, Donald Trump, considera al exmandatario de 94 años como la figura que aún influye en las decisiones clave de la isla. Un alto funcionario citado por Axios matizó el carácter de los encuentros al afirmar: «Yo no las llamaría ‘negociaciones’, sino ‘discusiones’ sobre el futuro».

Rubio, de ascendencia cubana, y su equipo ven en Rodríguez Castro, de 41 años, y su entorno a una generación más joven y con mentalidad empresarial, que percibe agotado el modelo comunista tradicional y valora un eventual acercamiento con Estados Unidos. “Nuestra postura —la postura del gobierno estadounidense— es que el régimen tiene que irse”, declaró el funcionario a Axios, al tiempo que agregó que “pero cómo se verá eso exactamente depende del presidente Trump y aún no lo ha decidido. Rubio sigue en conversaciones con su nieto”.

Según fuentes citadas por el medio, asesores de Trump han mantenido contactos con otros actores influyentes en Cuba, pero consideran al nieto de Castro una figura clave por su cercanía con el exmandatario y sus vínculos con el conglomerado militar-empresarial GAESA. Una fuente describió los intercambios como “sorprendentemente” amistosos.

Las revelaciones surgen mientras el Presidente de Estados Unidos confirmó recientemente que su Gobierno mantiene conversaciones con altos funcionarios cubanos, aunque La Habana lo ha negado. “Estamos hablando con Cuba ahora mismo. (El secretario de Estado de EE.UU.) Marco Rubio está hablando con Cuba ahora mismo, y deberían totalmente llegar a un acuerdo, porque es… realmente, una amenaza humanitaria”, declaró el mandatario a bordo del avión presidencial.

El endurecimiento del bloqueo energético estadounidense ha profundizado la crisis en la isla, con apagones prolongados, reducción de servicios en hospitales y oficinas públicas, y limitaciones en el abastecimiento de productos, lo que añade presión a un eventual diálogo entre Washington y La Habana.

Continue Reading

Trending

Central News