Connect with us

International

Football legend Pele hospitalized again

Photo: Miguel Schincariol / AFP

| By AFP |

Brazilian football legend Pele has been hospitalized again for a “reevaluation” of his treatment following a colon tumor last year, his doctors said Wednesday, the latest health issue for the 82-year-old icon.

Edson Arantes do Nascimento — Pele’s real name — was admitted to hospital in Sao Paulo “for a reevaluation of his chemotherapy treatment for the colon tumor diagnosed in September 2021,” his medical team said in a statement.

“He was taken to a standard room, without the need for intensive or semi-intensive care… (He) is in full control of his vital functions and in stable condition,” it added.

Pele’s daughter Kely Nascimento told his fans there was “no emergency.”

Advertisement
20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL
previous arrow
next arrow

“There is (no) emergency or new dire prediction… We appreciate the concern and love,” she wrote on Instagram.

Another daughter, Flavia Nascimento, denied rumors the footballer known as “The King” had taken a turn for the worse.

“There’s been a certain amount of confusion because my father went to the hospital for some exams,” she said in a video, describing the stay as part of routine treatment “to monitor his cancer.”

“Please keep sending him that World Cup energy, which he loves and is exactly what he needs.”

Considered by many the greatest footballer of all time, Pele has suffered from increasingly fragile health in recent years.

Advertisement
20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL
previous arrow
next arrow

He has been undergoing regular chemotherapy treatments since being diagnosed with colon cancer last year.

He had surgery to remove the tumor in September 2021, spending a month in the hospital.

The only player in history to win three World Cups (1958, 1962 and 1970), Pele had one of the most storied careers in sport, scoring more than 1,000 goals before retiring in 1977.

His public appearances have grown increasingly rare, but he maintains an active presence on social media — recently telling the Brazilian national team he was counting on them to “bring this trophy home” from the World Cup in Qatar.

Current Brazilian international Alex Telles told a news conference in Doha the team are rooting for Pele to make a speedy recovery.

Advertisement
20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL
previous arrow
next arrow

“It’s hard to talk about our ‘King,’ he represents us to the entire world. I’m praying for him to stay strong here with us. Hugs to his family, everything will be all right,” said the Sevilla defender.

International

Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal

Paraguay summoned the Brazilian ambassador in Asunción on Tuesday to demand “explanations” and called its own representative in Brasília for consultations following Brazil’s acknowledgment of an espionage operation. The Brazilian government, led by President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, attributed the operation to the previous administration.

The surveillance effort aimed to uncover Paraguay’s position in now-suspended negotiations with Brazil regarding the pricing of electricity from the binational Itaipú hydroelectric plant, according to reports in the Brazilian press.

The Brazilian government “categorically denied any involvement in the intelligence operation,” stating in a Foreign Ministry communiqué on Monday that the espionage was carried out under former President Jair Bolsonaro’s administration (2019-2023).

“The operation was authorized by the previous government in June 2022 and was annulled by the interim director of the (state intelligence agency) ABIN on March 27, 2023, as soon as the current administration became aware of it,” Brazil’s government asserted.

Paraguay’s Foreign Minister Rubén Ramírez announced that Brazilian Ambassador José Antonio Marcondes de Carvalho was summoned “to provide detailed explanations” regarding the operation. Additionally, Paraguay recalled its diplomatic representative in Brasília “to report on aspects related to the intelligence activity conducted by Brazil regarding Paraguay’s government affairs.”

Advertisement

20250301_vacunacion_vph-728x90
20241211_mh_noexigencia_dui_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
domfuturo_netview-728x90
20240604_dom_728x90
CEL

previous arrow
next arrow

Continue Reading

International

Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders

President Donald Trump has informed his inner circle that Elon Musk will be stepping down from his role as a government advisor, according to a report by Politico today.

Citing three individuals close to Trump, Politico states that the president is pleased with Musk’s leadership at the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), where he has implemented significant budget cuts. However, both have agreed that it is time for Musk to return to his businesses and support Trump from a different position outside the government.

A senior administration official told Politico that Musk will likely maintain an informal advisory role and continue to be an occasional visitor to the White House. Another source warned that anyone thinking Musk will completely disappear from Trump’s circle is “deluding themselves.”

According to the sources, this transition is expected to coincide with the end of Musk’s tenure as a “special government employee,” a temporary status that exempts him from certain ethics and conflict-of-interest regulations. This 130-day period is set to expire in late May or early June.

Continue Reading

International

Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join

Argentine President Javier Milei reaffirmed his country’s claim over the Falkland Islands (known as the Islas Malvinas in Argentina) and praised the role of the nation’s armed forces during a ceremony marking the “Veterans and Fallen Soldiers of the Malvinas War Day,” commemorating 43 years since the 1982 conflict with the United Kingdom.

Argentina continues to assert sovereignty over the islands, arguing that Britain unlawfully seized them in 1833.

“If sovereignty over the Malvinas is the issue, we have always made it clear that the most important vote is the one cast with one’s feet. We hope that one day, the Malvinas residents will choose to vote with their feet and join us,” Milei stated.

“That is why we aim to become a global power—so much so that they would prefer to be Argentine, making deterrence or persuasion unnecessary. This is why we have embarked on a path of liberation, working to make Argentina the freest country in the world and once again the nation with the highest GDP per capita on the planet,” he added.

Continue Reading

Trending

Central News