International
López Obrador uses García Luna case to attack former presidents
February 24 |
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said Wednesday that he expects former Public Security Secretary Genaro Garcia Luna, found guilty in the United States of accepting bribes from drug cartels, to testify whether he received orders from former presidents Felipe Calderon and Vicente Fox, strong critics of his government.
During his morning conference, López Obrador said he hopes that after the verdict García Luna will testify as a witness and inform whether he obeyed orders from the former presidents “or informed the former presidents” of his actions.
During Calderón’s administration (2006-2012) García Luna directed security policy, while during Fox’s administration (2000-2006) he headed the now defunct Federal Investigation Agency.
The President stated that it would also be favorable for Mexico and the United States that García Luna informs about his links with the US authorities.
López Obrador ruled out that the case of García Luna, the first high-ranking Mexican ex-official to be tried in a U.S. court, could affect Mexico’s image, and indicated that it will help “continue cleaning up corruption”, which has been one of his slogans during his administration that began in 2018. “It must remain for us as a lesson that these facts must never be repeated again,” he added.
Referring to the statement released by Calderón hours after the verdict -in which he distanced himself from the actions of his former security collaborator-, López Obrador said that the former president went off on a “tangent” by not answering questions about the case.
“What is the explanation you are going to give to the people of Mexico about why you appointed García Luna and if you knew or didn’t know?” he added.
The governor also took the opportunity to criticize the opposition National Action Party (PAN), which Calderón and Fox joined, and the Judicial Power for the sentence in favor of the ex-secretary’s wife, Linda Pereyra Gálvez, to unblock a bank account that had been frozen for more than three years after a process initiated by the Attorney General’s Office against her for the crime of operations with resources of illicit origin.
García Luna, 54, was found guilty on Tuesday by an anonymous jury in a New York federal court of participating in an ongoing criminal enterprise and could be sentenced to 20 years to life in prison at a sentencing hearing scheduled for June 27.
Hours after the announcement of the verdict Calderón said in a statement that the García Luna case does not demerit the struggle of thousands of police, military, prosecutors, judges and other public servants and assured that in the polarized environment in Mexico, the sanction of the former secretary “is already being used politically to attack me”.
“I never negotiated or made pacts with criminals. I never used the presidential investiture to advocate for their interests,” said Calderón in defending his administration and added that he fought all criminal organizations, including the Sinaloa Cartel, which witnesses testified in the trial was protected by García Luna in exchange for bribes.
The former president added that he had the support and recognition of the United States in the framework of security cooperation initiatives.
On the repercussions that the verdict could bring Ruben Salazar, director of the local political analysis and strategy firm Etellekt Consultores, told The Associated Press that the information and judicial actions that will come after the verdict will cause a “schism” that could reach many authorities and politicians of all forces, including the ruling party.
“It is not a trial against García Luna, but against Mexican narco-politics,” Salazar said, adding that “the entire political class is trembling right now” because they fear that the United States could also initiate proceedings against them.
International
Bayly Says Trump ‘Gets Along Better With Dictators’ and Criticizes U.S.–Venezuela Policy
Peruvian author and journalist Jaime Bayly said Tuesday in Madrid that U.S. President Donald Trump “gets along better with dictators than he does with democrats” and that his administration is experiencing “a honeymoon with the Venezuelan dictatorship,” according to a report on his remarks during the launch of his new novel Los golpistas (Galaxia Gutenberg).
Bayly made the comments while presenting the book, which reconstructs the turbulent three days in April 2002 when Venezuelan leader Hugo Chávez briefly lost power. He also sharply criticized the current Venezuelan leadership, saying that Delcy Rodríguez should be recognized as a dictator and “a continuation of Maduro’s dictatorship.”
The writer lamented that the failed 2002 coup — which he described as carried out by “amateurs” — did not lead to free elections that might have restored democracy to Venezuela. He argued that, even now, U.S. policy under Trump seems more focused on securing access to Venezuelan oil than on supporting Venezuelans’ freedom. “Venezuela could have chosen a free, clean and legitimate government — which we still impatiently await despite Trump, who only seems interested in freeing Venezuelan oil, not Venezuelans,” Bayly said.
Bayly also claimed that “every day that passes, Trump seems more enchanted with Delcy,” suggesting that Washington might leave Venezuelan leaders in power so long as they cooperate on economic interests.
A U.S. citizen who has lived in Miami for decades, Bayly said he is proud never to have voted for Trump, whom he described as “servile with the powerful and cruel with the weak.” He also criticized U.S. immigration enforcement as abusive.
Regarding the book’s creative process, Bayly said he combined extensive documentation and interviews with historical events, weaving fictional dialogue and narrative into real episodes without altering core facts. Los golpistas explores why the April 2002 coup attempt against Chávez failed and how key figures such as Chávez and Cuban leader Fidel Castroshaped modern Venezuelan history.
International
Maduro and Cilia Flores Receive Consular Visit in U.S. Jail Ahead of March 26 Hearing
Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, who is detained in the United States, and his wife, Cilia Flores, received a consular visit from a Venezuelan government official on January 30 while they remain in a New York jail awaiting their next court appearance, scheduled for March 26, 2026, according to a court filing.
The notification, submitted to the judge by prosecutors and the defense and now part of the digital case file, states that Maduro and Flores were visited by “an official representing the Republic of Venezuela to help facilitate any services the accused needed.”
The document also notes that U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein ordered the U.S. prosecutor’s office at the couple’s first court appearance on January 5 to ensure they had access to consular services and to inform the court when such access was provided.
Their next hearing was postponed by the court from an original date of March 17 to March 26 at 11:00 a.m., after prosecutors, with the consent of the defense, requested extra time to gather evidence, allow the defense to review it, and determine which pretrial motions they will file, the filing says.
Maduro has denied wrongdoing, calling himself “innocent” of the narcotics charges authorities have brought in federal court.
International
Rubio Engages in Quiet Discussions With Castro Family as U.S. Pressures Havana
El secretario de Estado de Estados Unidos, Marco Rubio, sostuvo conversaciones secretas con Raúl Guillermo Rodríguez Castro, nieto y actual cuidador del expresidente cubano Raúl Castro, según reveló este miércoles el medio estadounidense Axios. Los contactos se producen en un contexto de fuerte presión de Washington sobre el Gobierno de La Habana.
De acuerdo con la publicación, los diálogos han evitado los canales oficiales del Ejecutivo cubano y reflejan que la administración del Presidente de Estados Unidos, Donald Trump, considera al exmandatario de 94 años como la figura que aún influye en las decisiones clave de la isla. Un alto funcionario citado por Axios matizó el carácter de los encuentros al afirmar: «Yo no las llamaría ‘negociaciones’, sino ‘discusiones’ sobre el futuro».
Rubio, de ascendencia cubana, y su equipo ven en Rodríguez Castro, de 41 años, y su entorno a una generación más joven y con mentalidad empresarial, que percibe agotado el modelo comunista tradicional y valora un eventual acercamiento con Estados Unidos. “Nuestra postura —la postura del gobierno estadounidense— es que el régimen tiene que irse”, declaró el funcionario a Axios, al tiempo que agregó que “pero cómo se verá eso exactamente depende del presidente Trump y aún no lo ha decidido. Rubio sigue en conversaciones con su nieto”.
Según fuentes citadas por el medio, asesores de Trump han mantenido contactos con otros actores influyentes en Cuba, pero consideran al nieto de Castro una figura clave por su cercanía con el exmandatario y sus vínculos con el conglomerado militar-empresarial GAESA. Una fuente describió los intercambios como “sorprendentemente” amistosos.
Las revelaciones surgen mientras el Presidente de Estados Unidos confirmó recientemente que su Gobierno mantiene conversaciones con altos funcionarios cubanos, aunque La Habana lo ha negado. “Estamos hablando con Cuba ahora mismo. (El secretario de Estado de EE.UU.) Marco Rubio está hablando con Cuba ahora mismo, y deberían totalmente llegar a un acuerdo, porque es… realmente, una amenaza humanitaria”, declaró el mandatario a bordo del avión presidencial.
El endurecimiento del bloqueo energético estadounidense ha profundizado la crisis en la isla, con apagones prolongados, reducción de servicios en hospitales y oficinas públicas, y limitaciones en el abastecimiento de productos, lo que añade presión a un eventual diálogo entre Washington y La Habana.
-
Central America4 days agoGuatemala’s president denounces MP raids during Constitutional Court election
-
Central America4 days agoTeens visit ETESAL substation to learn about responsible energy use
-
Central America17 hours agoWashington Imposes Visa Ban on La Modelo Director Amid Crackdown in Nicaragua
-
International2 days agoFather Faces Murder Charges in Georgia School Shooting Case
-
International17 hours agoBayly Says Trump ‘Gets Along Better With Dictators’ and Criticizes U.S.–Venezuela Policy
-
International17 hours agoMaduro and Cilia Flores Receive Consular Visit in U.S. Jail Ahead of March 26 Hearing
-
International2 days agoSpanish Government Targets ‘Big Tech Impunity’ in AI Image Scandal
-
International17 hours agoRubio Engages in Quiet Discussions With Castro Family as U.S. Pressures Havana
-
Central America3 days agoGuatemala’s Attorney General Consuelo Porras Loses Bid for Constitutional Court Seat























