International
Murder of presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio shocks Ecuador
August 10|
Ecuador’s presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio, a champion of the anti-corruption fight and known for his statements against criminal gangs and drug trafficking, was killed on Wednesday in Quito in a shooting attack outside a political rally, just over a week before the general elections and amid a wave of violence affecting various parts of the South American country.
Villavicencio died in a clinic 100 meters from the site of the attack, while police carried out a controlled explosion of a grenade that had been thrown in front of the rally site.
After the death was confirmed, presidential candidate Otto Sonnenholzner, of the Actuemos coalition, called on the other candidates to stop campaigning and come together to form a single force in the fight against crime.
President Guillermo Lasso, who called the murder a “political crime” and said it was intended to “sabotage the electoral process”, confirmed that the election date would be kept, albeit with additional security measures including a military deployment.
He also decreed three days of national mourning for the death of Villavicencio.
The Attorney General’s Office informed near midnight on the social network X, formerly Twitter, that six people have been arrested in connection with Villavicencio’s murder. Earlier it had specified that a suspect in the attack was wounded during the exchange of bullets with security personnel, was apprehended and taken badly wounded to the Flagrancy Unit in Quito, where he died of his wounds.
The criminal organization that calls itself “Los Lobos” published a statement on the social network X — formerly known as Twitter — claiming responsibility for the murder of Fernando Villavicencio and threatening that “it will happen again when the corrupt don’t keep their word.
Villavicencio was one of eight registered candidates for the August 20 presidential election. The 59-year-old politician was not among the favorites, with a meager 10% of the preferences, although he was a recognized figure for having denounced in the past several cases of alleged government corruption.
He was married to Verónica Sarauz and leaves five children.
In recent days, the presidential hopeful had publicly denounced that the leader of a local criminal group linked to Mexico’s Sinaloa cartel had threatened him, although so far no Ecuadorian authorities have pointed to any specific criminal organization. Villavicencio had also alleged links between politicians and drug traffickers.
In the last video in which he is seen alive, he is seen leaving the school grounds where the political rally was held surrounded by police, who help him into a vehicle. Before closing the door, a series of gunshots and desperate shouts from supporters can be heard.
Following the attack, Ecuadorian authorities did not disclose the possible motive behind the attack. Patricio Zuquilanda, an advisor to the candidate’s campaign, told The Associated Press that Villavicencio had received two death threats, although he did not give further details.
International
Trump Defies Supreme Court With New 10% Global Tariff
Defiant in the face of a judicial setback, Donald Trump on Friday imposed a new across-the-board 10% tariff after the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that he does not have the authority to levy customs duties under the guise of a national emergency.
The Republican president signed the order in the Oval Office and announced on social media that the measure would take effect “almost immediately.” According to a statement from the White House, the decree will formally enter into force on February 24 for a period of 150 days.
It remains unclear whether the new tariff will apply to countries that have already negotiated trade agreements establishing rates higher than 10%.
Earlier in the day, the conservative-majority court ruled that a 1977 law cited by Trump to abruptly impose tariffs on individual countries — disrupting global trade — “does not authorize the president to impose tariffs.”
Trump said he was “deeply disappointed” by the decision and accused some justices of being influenced by “foreign interests.”
Although he has made variable tariffs a cornerstone of his foreign policy, Trump acknowledged that it is uncertain whether the government will have to refund revenue already collected. A study by the University of Pennsylvaniaestimated that the amount at stake could reach as much as $175 billion.
“That issue was not addressed by the Court,” Trump told reporters, warning that the legal battle could drag on for “years.”
Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who dissented from the Court’s 6–3 majority opinion, cautioned that the legal process could become a “mess.”
Trump denied any error or haste in using tariffs as a policy tool, arguing instead that the six justices who ruled against him were motivated by “political correctness.” Vice President JD Vance wrote on X that the Court had acted “outside the law.”
International
U.S. Targets Members of Outgoing Boric Administration With Visa Revocations
The United States government announced on Friday the revocation of visas for three Chilean officials—whose identities were not initially disclosed—citing activities that allegedly “undermined regional security,” an accusation that Chile denies.
In a statement, the U.S. Department of State did not provide specific details about the individuals involved but criticized the outgoing administration of leftist President Gabriel Boric.
“The legacy of the Boric government will be further tarnished by actions that undermine regional security to the ultimate detriment of the Chilean people,” the statement read. It was signed by U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
Chile’s Minister of Transport, Juan Carlos Muñoz, later confirmed in a video message to the press that he is among those sanctioned.
“I was recently informed that my visa to enter the United States has been revoked by that country, which I deeply regret,” Muñoz said.
The U.S. statement also noted that Washington hopes to “advance shared priorities, including those that strengthen security in our hemisphere, with the upcoming Kast government.”
The electoral victory of ultraconservative leader José Antonio Kast was welcomed in Washington, which has been building alliances with like-minded governments in the region to reinforce its diplomatic and economic agenda—particularly in response to China’s growing investment presence in Latin America.
“We remain committed to promoting accountability for Chilean individuals who deliberately work to destabilize our hemisphere,” the statement concluded.
International
Three Injured in Mail Package Explosion at Buenos Aires Gendarmerie Academy
Three people were injured on Friday after a mail package exploded at the Escuela Superior de Gendarmería in Buenos Aires, according to a statement released by Argentina’s Ministerio de Seguridad.
The explosion occurred at 1:49 p.m. local time (16:49 GMT) inside a building located less than one kilometer from the Government House, the ministry reported.
“Personnel from the force handled a parcel that had reportedly been received months earlier and was being stored at the facility. When it was opened, an explosion occurred, causing injuries to two officers,” the statement said.
The ministry added that both injured officers were transported to a hospital and are not in life-threatening condition. “A third officer remains in recovery and is out of danger,” authorities confirmed.
Following the incident, police cordoned off the surrounding area, halted traffic, and evacuated the 11-story building as well as adjacent buildings on the same block.
Mariana Bornio, an employee at a telecommunications company located in a neighboring building, said that as she was being evacuated, she saw one of the injured gendarmes leaving the scene shirtless and covered with a blue medical gown.
-
Central America4 days agoWashington Imposes Visa Ban on La Modelo Director Amid Crackdown in Nicaragua
-
International3 days agoTop U.S. Military Commander Meets Interim Venezuelan Leaders After Maduro’s Capture
-
International5 days agoFather Faces Murder Charges in Georgia School Shooting Case
-
International4 days agoBayly Says Trump ‘Gets Along Better With Dictators’ and Criticizes U.S.–Venezuela Policy
-
International4 days agoRubio Engages in Quiet Discussions With Castro Family as U.S. Pressures Havana
-
International4 days agoMaduro and Cilia Flores Receive Consular Visit in U.S. Jail Ahead of March 26 Hearing
-
International2 days agoThree Injured in Mail Package Explosion at Buenos Aires Gendarmerie Academy
-
International2 days agoU.S. Targets Members of Outgoing Boric Administration With Visa Revocations
-
International21 hours agoTrump Defies Supreme Court With New 10% Global Tariff
-
Sin categoría3 days agoFormer South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol Sentenced to Life for Insurrection
-
International5 days agoSpanish Government Targets ‘Big Tech Impunity’ in AI Image Scandal























