Central America
Nicaragua frees 12 priests and sends them to the Vatican

October 19 |
The government of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega reached a reconciliation agreement with the Vatican to release 12 priests and send them directly to Rome.
The statement noted that the priests, prosecuted for different causes, left Wednesday afternoon for Rome and will be received there by the Vatican Secretariat of State.
According to an official communiqué, “the Government of Reconciliation and National Unity of the Republic of Nicaragua after holding fruitful conversations with the Holy See” managed to send a total of 12 priests prosecuted for various crimes to Rome so that they can be received at the Vatican.
In said communiqué they clarified that the priests sent to Rome are Manuel Salvador García Rodríguez, José Leonardo Urbina Rodríguez, Jaime Iván Montesinos Sauceda, Fernando Israel Zamora Silva, Osman José Amador Guillén, Julio Ricardo Norori Jiménez, Cristóbal Reynaldo Gadea Velásquez, Álvaro José Toledo Amador, José Iván Centeno Tercero, Pastor Eugenio Rodríguez Benavidez, Yessner Cipriano Pineda Meneses and Ramón Angulo Reyes.
“This agreement reached with the intercession of high authorities of the Catholic Church in Nicaragua and in the Vatican, represents the permanent will and commitment to find solutions,” the text added.
For the moment, the Ortega government has not reached an agreement with the Vatican to transfer the Catholic bishop of Matagalpa, Monsignor Rolando Alvarez, who was accused of conspiracy and sentenced to 26 years in prison.
It is worth noting that Alvarez was granted an amnesty by the Nicaraguan government and was to be transferred by plane to the United States, however the priest refused.
Central America
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping

A police officer was killed during riots provoked by an enraged mob in a Guatemalan town following the kidnapping of a baby, the government reported on Wednesday.
The incidents began on Tuesday night and continued into the early hours of Wednesday in the town of San Vicente Pacaya, about 25 km south of the capital, according to Minister of the Interior Francisco Jiménez.
“There was an incident in San Vicente Pacaya where, unfortunately, a police officer died after being struck in the head with a stone. He passed away this morning,” Jiménez said in a press conference.
He explained that the unrest erupted following the arrest of two suspects in connection with the kidnapping of “a baby just a few months old,” including a woman with a criminal record.
Sports
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain

The Venezuelan government announced on Wednesday that it is investigating the case of 18 baseball players who are “under the supervision of Spanish authorities” after seeking protection.
In a statement, Venezuelan authorities said they are working to determine whether this case involves “a possible human trafficking scheme,” though they have not provided any evidence of such a crime.
The Venezuelan government emphasized its commitment to protecting the country’s athletes while also denouncing the use of international legal frameworks by certain governments allegedly seeking to discredit the administration.
CNN reached out to Spain’s National Police for a response to Venezuela’s claims. According to Spanish authorities, the 18 young athletes—including two minors—arrived in Spain to participate in a series of matches but had already planned to apply for asylum. Authorities confirmed on Tuesday that they had begun interviewing the players to process their international protection requests.
The team’s coach addressed the situation in a TikTok video, refuting local media reports that he had abandoned the athletes. He asserted that the players chose to remain in Barcelona to secure the necessary permits to sign with other teams and that their decision was unrelated to any political motivations.
Sports
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo

A two-time Copa Libertadores champion with Flamengo during his playing days, Filipe Luis will make his managerial debut in the tournament this Thursday when the popular Rio de Janeiro club faces Venezuela’s Deportivo Táchira.
Placed in Group C alongside Táchira, Liga de Quito, and Argentina’s Central Córdoba, Flamengo starts as one of the favorites—a major challenge for the 39-year-old former player.
His early coaching career has been off to a strong start.
After retiring in 2023, Filipe Luis took over as Flamengo’s head coach on September 30. Just 41 days later, he won his first title, the Copa do Brasil. The year 2025 has already brought two more trophies: the Supercopa do Brasil, where Flamengo defeated Botafogo—current Libertadores and Brasileirão champions—3-1, and the Campeonato Carioca.
At 8:30 PM local time (00:30 GMT Friday), Flamengo under Filipe Luis will make its international debut at Estadio Pueblo Nuevo in San Cristóbal. Although Gerson, Uruguayan Giorgian de Arrascaeta, and Ecuadorian Gonzalo Plata are unavailable, the squad still boasts attacking firepower with Bruno Henrique and Everton.
-
Central America3 days ago
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary urges Mexico to strengthen Guatemala border
-
Central America3 days ago
Panama grants Martinelli 72-hour extension to travel to Nicaragua
-
International1 day ago
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal
-
Central America4 days ago
Panama police clarifies that Interpol alert for Martinelli is still pending
-
International3 days ago
Trump urges Putin to reach peace deal
-
International4 days ago
Deportation flight lands in Venezuela; government denies criminal gang links
-
Sports1 day ago
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo
-
Central America1 day ago
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping
-
International1 day ago
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders
-
Sports1 day ago
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain
-
International1 day ago
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join
-
International1 day ago
ICE agent’s arrest of suspect sparks controversy in Boston
-
International1 day ago
Óscar Arias: Trump’s trade policies are a step backward