International
Yemeni Houthi rebels attack US merchant ships and military ships
Yemen’s Shiite Houthi rebels announced Saturday that they had carried out a wide-ranging attack with multiple naval missiles and 37 drones against US merchant ships and military ships in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden. This attack, the largest of its kind since the start of the war in Gaza five months ago, was confirmed by Houthi spokesman Yehya Sarea. In his statement, Sarea stated that they managed to successfully attack their objectives and warned that they will continue military operations in response to the situation in Gaza and what they consider a US-British aggression against Yemen.
These statements came after the US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced that it had thwarted a large-scale attack by Houthi rebels and had shot down 15 drones launched against coalition ships and merchant vessels in the region. Centcom later reported that at least 28 additional UAVs were shot down in subsequent engagements, with no damage reported to U.S. or coalition ships.
The Houthis, who are backed by Iran, have controlled large areas of northern and western Yemen since their armed uprising in 2014. Since last November, they have launched multiple attacks on merchant ships in the Red Sea and Arabian Sea, as well as towards Israel, in retaliation for the war in Gaza. Despite bombing raids launched by the US and UK to protect shipping, the Houthis have reiterated their determination to continue their military operations in the region.
International
Florida judge sets 2027 trial in Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against BBC
A federal judge in Florida has scheduled February 2027 for the trial in the lawsuit filed by U.S. President Donald Trump against the BBC, in which he is seeking $10 billion in damages for defamation.
Trump accuses the British broadcaster of airing a misleading edit of a speech he delivered on January 6, 2021, which, he says, made it appear that he explicitly urged his supporters to attack the U.S. Capitol in Washington.
The president filed the suit in December in federal court in Florida, alleging defamation and violations of a law governing business practices when the program was broadcast ahead of the 2024 election.
Trump is seeking $5 billion in damages for each of the two claims.
Lawyers for the BBC unsuccessfully asked the court to dismiss the case, arguing that Trump had not suffered a “legally recognizable harm,” since the investigative program Panorama, which included the edited footage, aired outside the United States.
International
Head-of-state diplomacy key to guiding China–U.S. ties, Beijing says
Head-of-state diplomacy plays an irreplaceable strategic guiding role in China–United States relations, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said on Thursday during a regular press briefing, when asked about high-level exchanges between the two sides.
Lin added that in a recent phone call, U.S. President Donald Trump once again expressed his intention to visit China in April, while Chinese President Xi Jinping reiterated his invitation.
Both sides remain in communication regarding the matter, the spokesperson said.
Lin noted that the essence of China–U.S. economic and trade ties lies in mutual benefit and win-win outcomes.
“Both parties should work together to implement the important consensus reached by the two heads of state, injecting greater certainty and stability into China–U.S. economic and trade cooperation, as well as into the global economy,” he said.
International
Trump administration to end special immigration operation in Minnesota
The administration of Donald Trump is bringing to a close its special operation targeting illegal immigration in the northern state of Minnesota, border czar Tom Homan announced Thursday, following weeks of unrest and the fatal shootings of two activists by federal agents.
Thousands of federal officers had been deployed to Minnesota in December to carry out large-scale raids against undocumented immigrants.
The operations triggered strong reactions from residents and advocacy groups, leading to daily confrontations and the deaths of two people who were shot by federal agents.
“I proposed, and President Trump agreed, that this special operation should end in Minnesota,” Homan said during a press conference in the state capital, Minneapolis.
“A significant drawdown began this week and will continue into next week,” he added.
Homan indicated that similar enforcement efforts could be launched in other cities.
“Next week we will redeploy the agents currently here back to their home stations or to other parts of the country where they are needed. But we will continue to enforce immigration laws,” he said.
-
Central America4 days agoGuatemala to Phase Out Longstanding Medical Cooperation Agreement with Cuba
-
International4 days agoOver 50 Civil Groups Urge House to Impeach DHS Secretary Kristi Noem
-
International3 days agoHead-of-state diplomacy key to guiding China–U.S. ties, Beijing says
-
International4 days agoNew York’s New Archbishop Names Óscar Romero as His Favorite Saint
-
International3 days agoFlorida judge sets 2027 trial in Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against BBC
-
International3 days agoTrump administration to end special immigration operation in Minnesota
-
Central America21 hours agoGuatemala’s president denounces MP raids during Constitutional Court election
-
Central America8 hours agoTeens visit ETESAL substation to learn about responsible energy use
-
International4 days agoExclusive Tucson Neighborhood Shaken by Disappearance of Savannah Guthrie’s Mother























