International
Chavismo proclaims Nicolás Maduro as a presidential candidate for a third term

The ruling United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) proclaimed this Saturday President Nicolás Maduro as its candidate for the elections of next July 28, in which he will seek his third term in power, which he arrived in 2013.
The first vice president of the PSUV, Diosdado Cabello, considered the number two of Chavismo, delivered the banner of the formation to Maduro, after the speeches of six supporters that resulted in praise for the president.
“Despite all the adversities, (Maduro) has managed to maintain peace in this country, doing politics, defeating the oligarchy, not once but many times,” said Cabello, who recalled that a total of 4,240,032 PSUV militants supported, in previous assemblies, that the head of state seek a second consecutive re-election.
The thousands of supporters who gathered in the Polyhedro of Caracas, the largest covered capacity in the country, responded in the affirmative when asked if they approved to nominate Maduro “as a candidate of the PSUV and the Bolivarian revolution” for the July elections.
After that, Cabello said that the president had been ratified by acclamation as the presidential candidate, so they will register him as such before the National Electoral Council (CNE), which opened a period, between March 21 and 25, to present these candidacies.
When he took the microphone, after flying the PSUV flag, Maduro thanked the support and promised to fight to win the elections.
“There is only one destination: the popular victory. Whatever they do, what they say, they have never been able and will never be able to with us,” he said.
The head of state – who won his first re-election in 2018 with 6.2 million votes, in elections questioned by the international community – will compete, now at the age of 61, without it being clear who his opponents will be.
On the part of the majority opposition, former deputy María Corina Machado, who won a primary last October, expects to compete despite being disqualified from holding public positions, by opinion of the Office of the Comptroller General, which will prevent her from registering her candidacy with the CNE.
International
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal

Paraguay summoned the Brazilian ambassador in Asunción on Tuesday to demand “explanations” and called its own representative in Brasília for consultations following Brazil’s acknowledgment of an espionage operation. The Brazilian government, led by President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, attributed the operation to the previous administration.
The surveillance effort aimed to uncover Paraguay’s position in now-suspended negotiations with Brazil regarding the pricing of electricity from the binational Itaipú hydroelectric plant, according to reports in the Brazilian press.
The Brazilian government “categorically denied any involvement in the intelligence operation,” stating in a Foreign Ministry communiqué on Monday that the espionage was carried out under former President Jair Bolsonaro’s administration (2019-2023).
“The operation was authorized by the previous government in June 2022 and was annulled by the interim director of the (state intelligence agency) ABIN on March 27, 2023, as soon as the current administration became aware of it,” Brazil’s government asserted.
Paraguay’s Foreign Minister Rubén Ramírez announced that Brazilian Ambassador José Antonio Marcondes de Carvalho was summoned “to provide detailed explanations” regarding the operation. Additionally, Paraguay recalled its diplomatic representative in Brasília “to report on aspects related to the intelligence activity conducted by Brazil regarding Paraguay’s government affairs.”
International
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders

President Donald Trump has informed his inner circle that Elon Musk will be stepping down from his role as a government advisor, according to a report by Politico today.
Citing three individuals close to Trump, Politico states that the president is pleased with Musk’s leadership at the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), where he has implemented significant budget cuts. However, both have agreed that it is time for Musk to return to his businesses and support Trump from a different position outside the government.
A senior administration official told Politico that Musk will likely maintain an informal advisory role and continue to be an occasional visitor to the White House. Another source warned that anyone thinking Musk will completely disappear from Trump’s circle is “deluding themselves.”
According to the sources, this transition is expected to coincide with the end of Musk’s tenure as a “special government employee,” a temporary status that exempts him from certain ethics and conflict-of-interest regulations. This 130-day period is set to expire in late May or early June.
International
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join

Argentine President Javier Milei reaffirmed his country’s claim over the Falkland Islands (known as the Islas Malvinas in Argentina) and praised the role of the nation’s armed forces during a ceremony marking the “Veterans and Fallen Soldiers of the Malvinas War Day,” commemorating 43 years since the 1982 conflict with the United Kingdom.
Argentina continues to assert sovereignty over the islands, arguing that Britain unlawfully seized them in 1833.
“If sovereignty over the Malvinas is the issue, we have always made it clear that the most important vote is the one cast with one’s feet. We hope that one day, the Malvinas residents will choose to vote with their feet and join us,” Milei stated.
“That is why we aim to become a global power—so much so that they would prefer to be Argentine, making deterrence or persuasion unnecessary. This is why we have embarked on a path of liberation, working to make Argentina the freest country in the world and once again the nation with the highest GDP per capita on the planet,” he added.
-
International5 days ago
Son of journalist José Rubén Zamora condemns father’s return to prison as “illegal”
-
Central America3 days ago
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary urges Mexico to strengthen Guatemala border
-
Central America4 days ago
Panama police clarifies that Interpol alert for Martinelli is still pending
-
International5 days ago
Miyazaki’s style goes viral with AI but at what cost?
-
Central America3 days ago
Panama grants Martinelli 72-hour extension to travel to Nicaragua
-
International3 days ago
Trump urges Putin to reach peace deal
-
International1 day ago
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal
-
International4 days ago
Deportation flight lands in Venezuela; government denies criminal gang links
-
Sports1 day ago
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo
-
Central America22 hours ago
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping
-
International1 day ago
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders
-
Sports1 day ago
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain
-
International1 day ago
ICE agent’s arrest of suspect sparks controversy in Boston
-
International1 day ago
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join
-
International1 day ago
Óscar Arias: Trump’s trade policies are a step backward