International
The president of Peru calls on opponents to establish “a pact for governance”
The president of Peru, Dina Boluarte, invoked her political opponents this Sunday to establish “a pact for the governance” of her country that allows, as she said, to fulfill “the historical responsibility” of meeting the needs of the 33 million Peruvians.
“Away from the voices that divide, that expect us to give up, that we go back on this road for the struggle for the progress of the homeland, he invoked a pact for Peru, a pact for governability, for democracy,” Boluarte said during a ceremony held at the Government Palace of Lima.
The president made this approach two days after the plenary of Congress refused to admit to processing three motions for vacancy (dismissal) that had been presented against her by opposition legislators, mostly from left-wing political groups.
Boluarte added that “a divided, intolerant country, even if it is a minority group that moves these aspects that I indicate, affects unity.”
“The country demands the unity of its authorities to move forward,” he emphasized.
The head of state also remarked that “all” politicians have “a historical responsibility with the more than 33 million Peruvians.”
“Therefore, work in unity, as I always say, in a single patriotic heart, will make our homeland bigger, and that within it Peruvians have greater rights,” he concluded.
Last Friday, the Prime Minister of Peru, Gustavo Adrianzén, said that the Executive “will not allow governance to be broken in his country,” referring to the three motions of dismissal presented against Boluarte.
“We tell that small group of benches and parliamentarians that they are not going to make it, that we are not going to allow someone to want to break the governance of the country to lead us to instability and chaos,” he said.
The three motions, which were rejected by a simple majority, called for the dismissal of Boluarte for an alleged moral inability to exercise the head of state and demanded that he offer explanations for the latest complaints that have been made against him, which are also investigated by the Prosecutor’s Office.
Among the arguments was an alleged “abandonment from office,” which a journalistic complaint pointed out by Boluarte for 12 days between the end of June and the beginning of July 2023 to undergo alleged aesthetic procedures.
Also, his alleged involvement in the investigation against one of his brothers, Nicanor Boluarte, by deactivating a police team that supported a prosecutor’s group that specifically prosecutes the crimes of corruption committed by senior public officials a day before his preliminary arrest.
In this case, the Public Ministry opened a preliminary investigation of the president for the alleged commission of the crime against the administration of justice, in the form of personal cover-up.
International
Gabriel García Luna Pledges to Restore Public Trust in Guatemala’s Prosecutor’s Office
The new head of Public Ministry of Guatemala, Gabriel García Luna, announced during his first press conference that the institution will undergo a technical and legal review aimed at restoring public confidence in the country’s justice system.
García Luna also confirmed the closure of the Special Prosecutor’s Office Against Impunity, known as FECI, a unit that handled several high-profile and controversial corruption cases during the administration of his predecessor, Consuelo Porras, who has been sanctioned by more than 40 countries.
Porras’ tenure was marked by actions aimed at preventing the inauguration of President Bernardo Arévalo in 2024, as well as legal proceedings against former prosecutors, anti-corruption judges, journalists, and Indigenous leaders, many of whom later went into exile.
Due to these actions, the 72-year-old former official faced sanctions imposed by the United States, the European Union, as well as countries such as Canada and the United Kingdom.
“Starting tomorrow [Monday], the Special Prosecutor’s Office Against Impunity enters a liquidation phase because, unfortunately, it has lost public credibility,” García Luna stated during his first appearance before the media.
International
Mexico City Mayor Invites U2 to Perform at Iconic Zócalo Plaza
Irish rock band U2, which spent Tuesday and Wednesday filming a new music video for its song Street of Dreams in the Historic Center of Mexico City, received an invitation to perform at the capital’s iconic Zócalo square from Mayor Clara Brugada.
Brugada shared the invitation through social media posts accompanied by photos and a video showing her meeting with the band members.
“This is an invitation for you to perform in our wonderful public square, the Zócalo. You are welcome here, and we would love to have you,” Brugada said in the video while handing a document to Bono, the band’s lead singer.
Bono responded by saying that the group would like “to begin its new tour in Mexico City.”
Referencing one of the band’s most famous songs, In the Name of Love, Brugada said she was greeting Bono along with The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr..
“Welcoming U2 to our capital means celebrating music, connection and the emotion that can be felt in every corner of this city,” Brugada wrote in one of her messages. “We are a city open to the world, vibrant and full of stories shared from the stage to the streets.”
She also described the Zócalo as “the country’s most important public square” and a cultural landmark for Latin America.
Over the years, the Zócalo has hosted massive concerts by internationally renowned artists and bands including Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, Manu Chao, Café Tacvba, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, Los Tigres del Norte, La Maldita Vecindad, Silvio Rodríguez, Joan Manuel Serrat, Rosalía and Shakira, drawing hundreds of thousands of fans.
International
Marco Rubio Urges China to Help Restrain Iran Amid Gulf Tensions
Marco Rubio said Wednesday that Washington hopes to persuade China to take a more active role in stopping Iran from escalating tensions in the Persian Gulf, arguing that the crisis directly threatens Asian commercial interests.
“It is in China’s interest to resolve this situation. We hope to convince them to play a more active role in getting Iran to stop what it is doing now and trying to do in the Persian Gulf,” Rubio said during an interview with journalist Sean Hannity on Fox News while traveling aboard Air Force One.
The top U.S. diplomat said the conflict and concerns over the possible disruption of the Strait of Hormuz have already affected China’s interests.
Rubio noted that “a Chinese cargo ship was struck over the weekend,” referring to the exchange of attacks reported last Friday between Iran and the United States.
The remarks come amid growing international concern over rising tensions in the region and the potential impact on global trade routes and energy supplies.
-
Central America4 days agoArévalo Announces Overhaul of Guatemala’s Prison System Amid Security Crisis
-
Central America2 days agoGuatemala swears in new attorney general after controversial exit of Consuelo Porras
-
Central America4 days agoMulino Vows Tougher Crackdown as Homicides Increase in Panama
-
International1 hour agoGabriel García Luna Pledges to Restore Public Trust in Guatemala’s Prosecutor’s Office
-
Central America1 hour agoNicaragua’s Alliances With U.S. Rivals Could Trigger More Sanctions, Analysis Says

























