International
Venezuelan government says it will defeat US “neocolonial claims” in elections
The Government of Venezuela said on Wednesday that it will defeat the “neocolonial claims” of the United States on Sunday, when the South American country will hold presidential elections, in response to a statement by Washington in which they considered that massive participation in these elections will favor the triumph of the opposition.
“The defeat that (US) has painted on his forehead, by the beating that his lackeys will take on July 28, is as great as the precariousness of his government management,” said in X the Venezuelan Foreign Minister, Yván Gil, before the statements of the head of the Department of State for Latin America, Brian Nichols.
The Venezuelan minister asked the American official to take care of his own affairs, relax and contemplate “how a free, revolutionary and democratic people turns their neocolonial pretensions to cosmic dust through the popular vote.”
“All fascist plans to ignore the popular victory will fail again,” Gil added, just 20 days after the Governments of Venezuela and the United States resumed a process of dialogue that had been paralyzed for several months.
During an audience in the U.S. Congress, Nichols assured that participation will be a key factor for the majority opposition – with Edmundo González Urrutia as a candidate – to win the presidential elections, which according to Washington represent “an opportunity” for the country to return to “democracy.”
Although Nichols acknowledged that there is “important evidence” that the government of Nicolás Maduro has interfered in the elections with arrests of opponents and disqualification of candidates, such as opposition leader María Corina Machado, the diplomat considered that the elections are “an opportunity for a better future” in the country.
Nichols also explained that the United States is in contact with its partners in the region to address the situation in Venezuela, among which he cited Brazil, whose president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, Maduro’s historic ally, has criticized the recent statements of the Venezuelan president in which he predicted a “bloodbath” if he loses the elections.
Chavismo, which has governed since 1999, aspires to keep in power the current president of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, who has held the presidential seat since 2013.
International
Trump Delays Potential Iran Strikes as Regional Peace Talks Continue
Donald Trump announced a new deadline for potential military action against Iran, saying he would temporarily delay planned strikes while regional negotiators continue efforts to secure a peace agreement.
Speaking at the White House, Trump said he decided to postpone the operation after receiving requests from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates.
The U.S. president explained that the pause would remain in place for only a limited period, adding that discussions could continue through the end of the week or early next week.
Trump also warned that military action remained a possibility if negotiations fail to produce results, stressing that the United States could not allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.
“Maybe we’ll have to hit them again,” Trump said, referring to Iran while reiterating his willingness to resume military operations if necessary.
International
FAO Urges Urgent Action as Hormuz Disruption Threatens Global Food Supply
A prolonged closure of the Strait of Hormuz could trigger a “systemic agri-food shock” capable of causing a major global food price crisis within six to twelve months, the Food and Agriculture Organization warned on Wednesday.
Before the recent attacks launched by United States and Israel against Iran, roughly one-fifth of the world’s seaborne oil shipments passed through the strategic waterway.
The UN agency said the disruption should not be viewed as a temporary shipping issue, but rather as the beginning of a broader global agro-food crisis with potential long-term economic consequences.
The FAO urged governments to establish alternative trade routes, avoid export restrictions, protect humanitarian supply chains and build reserves to absorb rising transportation costs.
Máximo Torero said countries must urgently strengthen their resilience and prepare for the potential impact of disruptions linked to the maritime bottleneck.
According to the organization, the window for preventive action is rapidly closing.
International
U.S. Sanctions Alleged Sinaloa Cartel Money Launderers Linked to Fentanyl Trade
The U.S. Department of the Treasury announced sanctions on Wednesday against more than a dozen individuals and companies allegedly linked to Mexico’s Sinaloa Cartel, accusing them of laundering money connected to fentanyl trafficking operations.
Among those targeted are Armando Ojeda Avilés, identified by U.S. authorities as a leading money laundering operator for the cartel, and Jesús “Chuy” González Peñuela, who has been subject to a $5 million reward since January 2024.
According to the sanctions list released by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), other individuals sanctioned include Jesús Alonso Aispuro, described as the network’s financial chief, and Rodrigo Alarcón Palomares, accused of overseeing cash collection operations in the United States.
Relatives of the alleged cartel figures were also sanctioned for managing businesses reportedly tied to the network, including the security company Grupo Especial Mamba Negra and the restaurant Gorditas Chiwas in Chihuahua, Mexico.
The Sinaloa Cartel was designated a narcoterrorist organization last year under an order issued by U.S. President Donald Trump and has since become a major focus of U.S. law enforcement efforts.
Two weeks ago, prosecutors in New York’s Southern District accused Sinaloa Governor Rubén Rocha Moya and several associates of collaborating with the cartel, a development that increased tensions with the administration of Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum.
-
Central America4 days agoGuatemala swears in new attorney general after controversial exit of Consuelo Porras
-
International15 hours agoTrump Delays Potential Iran Strikes as Regional Peace Talks Continue
-
International1 day agoGabriel García Luna Pledges to Restore Public Trust in Guatemala’s Prosecutor’s Office
-
Central America1 day agoNicaragua’s Alliances With U.S. Rivals Could Trigger More Sanctions, Analysis Says
-
International15 hours agoU.S. Sanctions Alleged Sinaloa Cartel Money Launderers Linked to Fentanyl Trade
-
International15 hours agoFAO Urges Urgent Action as Hormuz Disruption Threatens Global Food Supply

























