International
Governor in Colombia: A ceasefire can be a demonstration of peace before COP16
The governor of the Colombian department of Valle del Cauca, Dilian Francisca Toro, believes that a ceasefire between armed groups in the Pacific “can happen” and would be “a demonstration of the will” of peace before the upcoming celebration of COP16 in Cali, the capital of that region.
“This has to serve, that nature, which is what reconciles us and is reconciling us at this moment, the conservation of life, serves for them to reflect and see that the most important thing is to be able to achieve peace, reconciliation and tranquility above all these communities so suffered,” Toro explains in an interview with EFE.
The objective of the United Nations Conference on Biodiversity (COP16), to be held from October 21 to November 1, with the participation of about 12,000 people, is to address the loss of biodiversity, restore ecosystems, distribute the benefits in a fair and equitable way and protect the rights of indigenous peoples.
However, the armed groups operating in the Pacific region have intensified their attacks in the vicinity of Cali in recent months, which set off alarms before the upcoming celebration of COP16, especially after the Central Staff (EMC), the main dissident of the FARC, referred to this international summit.
“I believe that (a ceasefire) can be a demonstration of the will to reduce all that onslaught of violence and suffering that the people of the Pacific have had, because it is those of the Colombian Pacific who have suffered the most violence and conflict,” says the governor.
Despite this, Toro is “completely calm” that COP16 will take place with total normality and without setbacks. “We have the certainty and we want to give all the certainty and security to the entire Colombian and international community,” he says.
The governor insists that to guarantee security there will be a “very great reinforcement of capabilities by the Army, the Police” and the regional authorities, including the purchase of technology such as anti-drones.
“What we want is for everyone to live it, that they do not tell them about it, but that they live the diversity in our region” and that they discover that “we can do a lot of ecotourism and that there nature is taken care of by indigenous, Afro-descendant, peasant communities and also civil society,” he says.
Toro highlights among the events of COP16 the summit of mayors and regional authorities that will take place on October 26, where they do not want to discuss, but to listen to the communities of each of the regions that are represented to know “how they take care of life, how they take care of nature, how they do to have sustainable development.”
“It is an opportunity, not only to take care of the environment, but that (COP16) becomes a closure of social gaps and inequalities, generating a sustainable economic development for those communities that live and that take care of that nature,” and those communities are precisely the ones that will be the protagonists of the summit, emphasizes the governor.
As for the expectations with COP16, he is confident that not only will the high-level negotiations “come to a successful conclusion,” but that “will serve to be able to continue taking care of nature, continue caring for biodiversity by 2030 as it is established.”
“And the most important thing is that we as a region, as a department, have a legacy (…) of culture, of the awareness of taking care of nature,” he adds.
So far, 145 delegations have confirmed their attendance, in addition to observer organizations, youth groups, civil society, academies and the general public that will negotiate and discuss the importance of the protection and restoration of nature through 23 goals for 2030 and four objectives for 2050.
International
Bayly Says Trump ‘Gets Along Better With Dictators’ and Criticizes U.S.–Venezuela Policy
Peruvian author and journalist Jaime Bayly said Tuesday in Madrid that U.S. President Donald Trump “gets along better with dictators than he does with democrats” and that his administration is experiencing “a honeymoon with the Venezuelan dictatorship,” according to a report on his remarks during the launch of his new novel Los golpistas (Galaxia Gutenberg).
Bayly made the comments while presenting the book, which reconstructs the turbulent three days in April 2002 when Venezuelan leader Hugo Chávez briefly lost power. He also sharply criticized the current Venezuelan leadership, saying that Delcy Rodríguez should be recognized as a dictator and “a continuation of Maduro’s dictatorship.”
The writer lamented that the failed 2002 coup — which he described as carried out by “amateurs” — did not lead to free elections that might have restored democracy to Venezuela. He argued that, even now, U.S. policy under Trump seems more focused on securing access to Venezuelan oil than on supporting Venezuelans’ freedom. “Venezuela could have chosen a free, clean and legitimate government — which we still impatiently await despite Trump, who only seems interested in freeing Venezuelan oil, not Venezuelans,” Bayly said.
Bayly also claimed that “every day that passes, Trump seems more enchanted with Delcy,” suggesting that Washington might leave Venezuelan leaders in power so long as they cooperate on economic interests.
A U.S. citizen who has lived in Miami for decades, Bayly said he is proud never to have voted for Trump, whom he described as “servile with the powerful and cruel with the weak.” He also criticized U.S. immigration enforcement as abusive.
Regarding the book’s creative process, Bayly said he combined extensive documentation and interviews with historical events, weaving fictional dialogue and narrative into real episodes without altering core facts. Los golpistas explores why the April 2002 coup attempt against Chávez failed and how key figures such as Chávez and Cuban leader Fidel Castroshaped modern Venezuelan history.
International
Maduro and Cilia Flores Receive Consular Visit in U.S. Jail Ahead of March 26 Hearing
Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, who is detained in the United States, and his wife, Cilia Flores, received a consular visit from a Venezuelan government official on January 30 while they remain in a New York jail awaiting their next court appearance, scheduled for March 26, 2026, according to a court filing.
The notification, submitted to the judge by prosecutors and the defense and now part of the digital case file, states that Maduro and Flores were visited by “an official representing the Republic of Venezuela to help facilitate any services the accused needed.”
The document also notes that U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein ordered the U.S. prosecutor’s office at the couple’s first court appearance on January 5 to ensure they had access to consular services and to inform the court when such access was provided.
Their next hearing was postponed by the court from an original date of March 17 to March 26 at 11:00 a.m., after prosecutors, with the consent of the defense, requested extra time to gather evidence, allow the defense to review it, and determine which pretrial motions they will file, the filing says.
Maduro has denied wrongdoing, calling himself “innocent” of the narcotics charges authorities have brought in federal court.
International
Rubio Engages in Quiet Discussions With Castro Family as U.S. Pressures Havana
El secretario de Estado de Estados Unidos, Marco Rubio, sostuvo conversaciones secretas con Raúl Guillermo Rodríguez Castro, nieto y actual cuidador del expresidente cubano Raúl Castro, según reveló este miércoles el medio estadounidense Axios. Los contactos se producen en un contexto de fuerte presión de Washington sobre el Gobierno de La Habana.
De acuerdo con la publicación, los diálogos han evitado los canales oficiales del Ejecutivo cubano y reflejan que la administración del Presidente de Estados Unidos, Donald Trump, considera al exmandatario de 94 años como la figura que aún influye en las decisiones clave de la isla. Un alto funcionario citado por Axios matizó el carácter de los encuentros al afirmar: «Yo no las llamaría ‘negociaciones’, sino ‘discusiones’ sobre el futuro».
Rubio, de ascendencia cubana, y su equipo ven en Rodríguez Castro, de 41 años, y su entorno a una generación más joven y con mentalidad empresarial, que percibe agotado el modelo comunista tradicional y valora un eventual acercamiento con Estados Unidos. “Nuestra postura —la postura del gobierno estadounidense— es que el régimen tiene que irse”, declaró el funcionario a Axios, al tiempo que agregó que “pero cómo se verá eso exactamente depende del presidente Trump y aún no lo ha decidido. Rubio sigue en conversaciones con su nieto”.
Según fuentes citadas por el medio, asesores de Trump han mantenido contactos con otros actores influyentes en Cuba, pero consideran al nieto de Castro una figura clave por su cercanía con el exmandatario y sus vínculos con el conglomerado militar-empresarial GAESA. Una fuente describió los intercambios como “sorprendentemente” amistosos.
Las revelaciones surgen mientras el Presidente de Estados Unidos confirmó recientemente que su Gobierno mantiene conversaciones con altos funcionarios cubanos, aunque La Habana lo ha negado. “Estamos hablando con Cuba ahora mismo. (El secretario de Estado de EE.UU.) Marco Rubio está hablando con Cuba ahora mismo, y deberían totalmente llegar a un acuerdo, porque es… realmente, una amenaza humanitaria”, declaró el mandatario a bordo del avión presidencial.
El endurecimiento del bloqueo energético estadounidense ha profundizado la crisis en la isla, con apagones prolongados, reducción de servicios en hospitales y oficinas públicas, y limitaciones en el abastecimiento de productos, lo que añade presión a un eventual diálogo entre Washington y La Habana.
-
Central America4 days agoGuatemala’s president denounces MP raids during Constitutional Court election
-
Central America4 days agoTeens visit ETESAL substation to learn about responsible energy use
-
International2 days agoFather Faces Murder Charges in Georgia School Shooting Case
-
Central America15 hours agoWashington Imposes Visa Ban on La Modelo Director Amid Crackdown in Nicaragua
-
International14 hours agoBayly Says Trump ‘Gets Along Better With Dictators’ and Criticizes U.S.–Venezuela Policy
-
International15 hours agoMaduro and Cilia Flores Receive Consular Visit in U.S. Jail Ahead of March 26 Hearing
-
International2 days agoSpanish Government Targets ‘Big Tech Impunity’ in AI Image Scandal
-
International15 hours agoRubio Engages in Quiet Discussions With Castro Family as U.S. Pressures Havana
-
Central America3 days agoGuatemala’s Attorney General Consuelo Porras Loses Bid for Constitutional Court Seat























