International
The reform of the Judiciary in Mexico is declared constitutional and awaits officialization
The Congress of Mexico declared constitutional the reform of the Judiciary proposed by the Government of Andrés Manuel López Obrador, which promotes the election of judges by popular vote, and only remains its publication in the Official Journal of the Federation (DOF) for its entry into force.
The declaration of constitutionality was first announced in the Mexican Senate and then in the Chamber of Deputies, in both cases in a few minutes, with the approval of the official ‘supermajorities’ in both chambers and the support of 23 local legislatures from 32 states.
Promulgation of the reform
“In order to comply with Article 135 of the Constitution (…) and once the 23 approval votes of the legislatures of the states have been counted, the Chamber of Senators declares approved the decree by which various provisions of the Mexican Constitution are reformed, added and repeals regarding the Judiciary,” he declared before the president of the Board of Directors of the Senate, Gerardo Fernández Noroña.
In the same sense, the president of the Board of Directors of the Chamber of Deputies, Sergio Gutiérrez Luna, expressed himself.
Both acts were not attended by the opposition, after the refusal to reform, which they have qualified as a setback for democracy and judicial independence, as well as for the balance of power and the possible intrusion of “interest groups.”
This was announced by the parliamentary coordinators in both Houses of Congress of the opponents National Action (PAN), Institutional Revolutionary (PRI) and Citizen Movement (MC) who expressed that the action of constitutionality “is an exclusive party” of the ruling party, as well as the “consummated robbery of the nation.”
The action is parallel to the attempts by workers of the Judiciary of the Federation (PJF) and at least 1,200 judges in the country to stop this reform by resorting to national and international bodies.
Multilateral organizations such as the United Nations and the Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACHR); business organizations such as the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC); rating agencies such as Fitch and Moody’s, as well as the US government have warned repercussions for Mexico for this reform, including panels and arbitrations within the framework of trade treaties such as the T-MEC.
Judicial remedies
On the date, a Mexican judge from the state of Colima ordered a suspension to stop the promulgation of the aforementioned reform in the DOF, despite the fact that President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, the main promoter of the reform, announced that it would be made official next Sunday, September 15, when Independence Day is commemorated in the country.
Later, Senator Ernestina Godoy, future legal advisor in the Government of Claudia Sheinbaum, pointed out that such protection is inappropriate to prevent the reform from being published in the DOF.
“They forget that there are no challenges against constitutional reform,” Godoy said.
So far, the judicial reform has more than 17 votes for local legislatures required by the Mexican Constitution to declare itself constitutional and be referred to the head of the Executive, López Obrador, for its officialization and entry into force.
The states that have already said yes
The legislatures that have already given their endorsement are those of the states of Baja California, Baja California Sur, Campeche, Colima, Durango, Guerrero, Hidalgo, State of Mexico, Morelos, Nayarit, Oaxaca, Puebla, Quintana Roo, San Luis Potosí, Sinaloa, Sonora, Tabasco, Tamaulipas, Tlaxcala, Veracruz de Ignacio de la Llave, Yucatan, Zacatecas and the capital Mexico City.
Meanwhile, it was rejected in the local congresses of Jalisco and Querétaro.
Once the declaration of constitutionality has been made by the Chamber of Deputies, President López Obrador will be processed for its official publication and subsequent entry into force.
International
Trump Delays Potential Iran Strikes as Regional Peace Talks Continue
Donald Trump announced a new deadline for potential military action against Iran, saying he would temporarily delay planned strikes while regional negotiators continue efforts to secure a peace agreement.
Speaking at the White House, Trump said he decided to postpone the operation after receiving requests from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates.
The U.S. president explained that the pause would remain in place for only a limited period, adding that discussions could continue through the end of the week or early next week.
Trump also warned that military action remained a possibility if negotiations fail to produce results, stressing that the United States could not allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.
“Maybe we’ll have to hit them again,” Trump said, referring to Iran while reiterating his willingness to resume military operations if necessary.
International
FAO Urges Urgent Action as Hormuz Disruption Threatens Global Food Supply
A prolonged closure of the Strait of Hormuz could trigger a “systemic agri-food shock” capable of causing a major global food price crisis within six to twelve months, the Food and Agriculture Organization warned on Wednesday.
Before the recent attacks launched by United States and Israel against Iran, roughly one-fifth of the world’s seaborne oil shipments passed through the strategic waterway.
The UN agency said the disruption should not be viewed as a temporary shipping issue, but rather as the beginning of a broader global agro-food crisis with potential long-term economic consequences.
The FAO urged governments to establish alternative trade routes, avoid export restrictions, protect humanitarian supply chains and build reserves to absorb rising transportation costs.
Máximo Torero said countries must urgently strengthen their resilience and prepare for the potential impact of disruptions linked to the maritime bottleneck.
According to the organization, the window for preventive action is rapidly closing.
International
U.S. Sanctions Alleged Sinaloa Cartel Money Launderers Linked to Fentanyl Trade
The U.S. Department of the Treasury announced sanctions on Wednesday against more than a dozen individuals and companies allegedly linked to Mexico’s Sinaloa Cartel, accusing them of laundering money connected to fentanyl trafficking operations.
Among those targeted are Armando Ojeda Avilés, identified by U.S. authorities as a leading money laundering operator for the cartel, and Jesús “Chuy” González Peñuela, who has been subject to a $5 million reward since January 2024.
According to the sanctions list released by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), other individuals sanctioned include Jesús Alonso Aispuro, described as the network’s financial chief, and Rodrigo Alarcón Palomares, accused of overseeing cash collection operations in the United States.
Relatives of the alleged cartel figures were also sanctioned for managing businesses reportedly tied to the network, including the security company Grupo Especial Mamba Negra and the restaurant Gorditas Chiwas in Chihuahua, Mexico.
The Sinaloa Cartel was designated a narcoterrorist organization last year under an order issued by U.S. President Donald Trump and has since become a major focus of U.S. law enforcement efforts.
Two weeks ago, prosecutors in New York’s Southern District accused Sinaloa Governor Rubén Rocha Moya and several associates of collaborating with the cartel, a development that increased tensions with the administration of Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum.
-
International2 days agoTrump Delays Potential Iran Strikes as Regional Peace Talks Continue
-
International2 days agoU.S. Sanctions Alleged Sinaloa Cartel Money Launderers Linked to Fentanyl Trade
-
International3 days agoGabriel García Luna Pledges to Restore Public Trust in Guatemala’s Prosecutor’s Office
-
Central America3 days agoNicaragua’s Alliances With U.S. Rivals Could Trigger More Sanctions, Analysis Says
-
International2 days agoFAO Urges Urgent Action as Hormuz Disruption Threatens Global Food Supply

























