International
Washington and London leave in the air the authorization to use their missiles against Russia
The President of the United States, Joe Biden, and the British Prime Minister, Keir Starmer, reaffirmed their support for Ukraine this Friday, but left Kiev on embers by not announcing a decision on their request to authorize the use of long-range missiles against Russian territory.
Expectations were high around the meeting between the two leaders, although in the end the announcement that Kiev was waiting for was not made.
New debate at United Nations
In statements to the press after the meeting, Starmer said that discussions will continue with a “wider group of individuals” during the week of high-level meetings of the United Nations General Assembly in New York, to be held later this month.
“This meeting was not to make a concrete decision,” stressed Starmer, who defended Ukraine’s right to defend itself and assured that NATO will continue to support Ukraine.
The issue of the missiles did not appear either in the final statement of the meeting, in which both parties “reaffirmed their unwavering support for Ukraine while continuing to defend itself against Russia’s aggression,” nor in the statements that both leaders offered before the meeting to the media.
At that time, Biden was the first to take the floor to thank Starmer for the “leadership” that the United Kingdom has shown in the war in Ukraine and reiterated that Washington is “committed” to helping Ukraine in its defense of “Russian aggression.”
For his part, Starmer expressed his support for Ukraine in “this vital war for freedom” and said that the coming months will be “very important” for the course of the conflict.
US conditions
Hours before the meeting, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky had insisted again that Ukraine needs to attack military targets located within the Russian Federation to change the course of the war in its favor.
In addition to Ukraine, other allies on NATO’s east flank, such as Poland, want the US leader to allow Kiev to use long-range missiles to attack military targets within Russia, and Biden has been open to making some changes in the policy he has maintained so far.
The question is how far Biden will go and when he could announce a change.
So far, the Biden Government’s policy has been to support Ukraine and, since the beginning of the conflict, it has given it more than 55 billion dollars in weapons, but it has set conditions on how Kiev should use the weapons that the US delivers or that are made with American components to avoid an escalation with Russia.
Those restrictions, however, have been relaxed over time on some occasions. They are maintained in long-range missiles, but in May Biden authorized Kiev for the first time to carry out attacks on Russian territory, specifically to defend the then besieged city of Kharkiv (northeast of the country).
Putin’s warnings
A possible measure that Biden could take is to authorize Ukraine’s use of British Storm Shadow missiles to attack targets outside its territory. The United Kingdom and Ukraine would need the approval of the US president, since some components of these missiles are manufactured in the United States.
Kiev also wants authorization to use the US long-range missiles ATACMS against Russia, which Washington has already sent to Ukraine. However, White House spokesman John Kirby already warned this Friday at a press conference that Biden was not going to announce any change in US policy for the moment.
“There are no changes in our vision on the provision of long-range attack capabilities for Ukraine to use within Russia. I wouldn’t expect any important announcement about it,” he said.
One of the biggest fears in the United States remains an escalation with Russia. This week, Russian President Vladimir Putin warned that if Ukraine is authorized to use long-range missiles to hit targets on Russian territory, it would imply that NATO members, the United States and European countries would be at war with Russia.
International
Top U.S. Military Commander Meets Interim Venezuelan Leaders After Maduro’s Capture
The commander of the United States Southern Command, Marine Francis L. Donovan, visited Venezuela on Wednesday, holding meetings with interim leaders following the recent capture of former President Nicolás Maduro by U.S. forces. The visit, confirmed by both U.S. and Venezuelan officials, marked a significant diplomatic and security engagement in Caracas.
Donovan, accompanied by senior U.S. officials including acting Assistant Secretary of Defense Joseph M. Humire and top diplomat Laura Dogu, met with acting President Delcy Rodríguez and key members of her cabinet, including Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino López and Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello.
According to official statements, discussions focused on strengthening bilateral cooperation on regional security issues, including efforts to combat illicit drug trafficking, terrorism, and migration. Both sides reiterated a commitment to pursuing diplomatic engagement and shared security goals for Venezuela and the Western Hemisphere.
The meetings also discussed progress on a three-phase plan supported by the United States to help stabilize Venezuela, following Maduro’s removal from power and subsequent detention in the U.S. on drug-related charges. This agenda reflects expanding U.S. engagement with Venezuela’s interim government amid broader efforts to restore diplomatic relations and address regional challenges.
The visit concluded on Wednesday, underscoring a growing U.S. focus on cooperation with Venezuelan authorities in the aftermath of major political developments earlier this year.
International
Bayly Says Trump ‘Gets Along Better With Dictators’ and Criticizes U.S.–Venezuela Policy
Peruvian author and journalist Jaime Bayly said Tuesday in Madrid that U.S. President Donald Trump “gets along better with dictators than he does with democrats” and that his administration is experiencing “a honeymoon with the Venezuelan dictatorship,” according to a report on his remarks during the launch of his new novel Los golpistas (Galaxia Gutenberg).
Bayly made the comments while presenting the book, which reconstructs the turbulent three days in April 2002 when Venezuelan leader Hugo Chávez briefly lost power. He also sharply criticized the current Venezuelan leadership, saying that Delcy Rodríguez should be recognized as a dictator and “a continuation of Maduro’s dictatorship.”
The writer lamented that the failed 2002 coup — which he described as carried out by “amateurs” — did not lead to free elections that might have restored democracy to Venezuela. He argued that, even now, U.S. policy under Trump seems more focused on securing access to Venezuelan oil than on supporting Venezuelans’ freedom. “Venezuela could have chosen a free, clean and legitimate government — which we still impatiently await despite Trump, who only seems interested in freeing Venezuelan oil, not Venezuelans,” Bayly said.
Bayly also claimed that “every day that passes, Trump seems more enchanted with Delcy,” suggesting that Washington might leave Venezuelan leaders in power so long as they cooperate on economic interests.
A U.S. citizen who has lived in Miami for decades, Bayly said he is proud never to have voted for Trump, whom he described as “servile with the powerful and cruel with the weak.” He also criticized U.S. immigration enforcement as abusive.
Regarding the book’s creative process, Bayly said he combined extensive documentation and interviews with historical events, weaving fictional dialogue and narrative into real episodes without altering core facts. Los golpistas explores why the April 2002 coup attempt against Chávez failed and how key figures such as Chávez and Cuban leader Fidel Castroshaped modern Venezuelan history.
International
Maduro and Cilia Flores Receive Consular Visit in U.S. Jail Ahead of March 26 Hearing
Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, who is detained in the United States, and his wife, Cilia Flores, received a consular visit from a Venezuelan government official on January 30 while they remain in a New York jail awaiting their next court appearance, scheduled for March 26, 2026, according to a court filing.
The notification, submitted to the judge by prosecutors and the defense and now part of the digital case file, states that Maduro and Flores were visited by “an official representing the Republic of Venezuela to help facilitate any services the accused needed.”
The document also notes that U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein ordered the U.S. prosecutor’s office at the couple’s first court appearance on January 5 to ensure they had access to consular services and to inform the court when such access was provided.
Their next hearing was postponed by the court from an original date of March 17 to March 26 at 11:00 a.m., after prosecutors, with the consent of the defense, requested extra time to gather evidence, allow the defense to review it, and determine which pretrial motions they will file, the filing says.
Maduro has denied wrongdoing, calling himself “innocent” of the narcotics charges authorities have brought in federal court.
-
Central America5 days agoTeens visit ETESAL substation to learn about responsible energy use
-
Central America1 day agoWashington Imposes Visa Ban on La Modelo Director Amid Crackdown in Nicaragua
-
International3 days agoFather Faces Murder Charges in Georgia School Shooting Case
-
International1 day agoBayly Says Trump ‘Gets Along Better With Dictators’ and Criticizes U.S.–Venezuela Policy
-
International1 day agoMaduro and Cilia Flores Receive Consular Visit in U.S. Jail Ahead of March 26 Hearing
-
International1 day agoRubio Engages in Quiet Discussions With Castro Family as U.S. Pressures Havana
-
International13 hours agoTop U.S. Military Commander Meets Interim Venezuelan Leaders After Maduro’s Capture
-
International3 days agoSpanish Government Targets ‘Big Tech Impunity’ in AI Image Scandal
-
Sin categoría13 hours agoFormer South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol Sentenced to Life for Insurrection
-
Central America3 days agoGuatemala’s Attorney General Consuelo Porras Loses Bid for Constitutional Court Seat























