International
The United States assures that the war is still avoidable between Israel and the Hizbulah group

The White House assured this Friday that the war is avoidable between Israel and the Lebanese Shiite group Hezbulá, despite the increase in tension and attacks in recent hours, and added that, despite the fact that the information indicates otherwise, US diplomatic efforts to appease the region continue to advance.
In a call with the press, the White House National Security spokesman, John Kirby, said that “we still believe that there is time and space for a diplomatic solution and we are confident that it is the best way to move forward. War is not inevitable in the Blue Line (which marks the division between Lebanon and Israel).”
Get a ceasefire
US President Joe Biden assured in a cabinet meeting that his entire team continues to work to achieve a ceasefire in Gaza and for residents of northern Israel and southern Lebanon to return to their homes.
“Many things do not seem realistic until we get them,” Biden said in relation to the frustrated attempts to mediate for Israel and Hamas to reach an agreement to cease hostilities in Gaza and the Palestinian militia to release the hostages.
Kirby referred to information published on Thursday by The Wall Street Journal that assures that after the recent increase in tension with Hezbula, the White House considers the possibility of a ceasefire in Gaza, the main front in the conflict between Israel and various militias linked to Iran in the region, before the November presidential elections.
“We will not lose hope and we will not stop working for it (a ceasefire that includes the release of hostages in the hands of Hamas in Gaza),” said Kirby, who reiterated that the main obstacle to an agreement in this regard is the leadership of the Palestinian group, despite recent reports in Israel that indicate that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has sabotaged an agreement for months.
The US sees the truce between Israel and Hezbula difficult
According to The Wall Street Journal, in private, White House officials assure that a ceasefire agreement “is not imminent” and “we are not sure that it will ever be achieved.”
The tension in the region returned with the attack of October 7, 2023 from Hamas in Israeli territory, neighboring Gaza, in which almost 1,200 people died.
Since then Israel has maintained a harsh offensive in the Strip that has caused an unprecedented humanitarian crisis, the murder of more than 40,000 Palestinians and more than 95,550 wounded, according to data from the Ministry of Health in Palestine.
On the northern front, Hezbulah has intensified its rocket attacks on Israel and this country today bombed the suburb of Dahye, in southern Lebanon, which left eight dead and 59 injured, the third time it does so since the beginning of the crossfire in October.
This Friday’s attack comes amid growing tension, after this week two waves of simultaneous explosions in thousands of communication devices carried by members of Hizbulá killed 37 people (some children) and injured almost 3,000 in Lebanon.
US intelligence assumes that the action was the result of a sophisticated Israeli operation to intervene in supply chains and implant explosives in the devices.
International
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal

Paraguay summoned the Brazilian ambassador in Asunción on Tuesday to demand “explanations” and called its own representative in Brasília for consultations following Brazil’s acknowledgment of an espionage operation. The Brazilian government, led by President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, attributed the operation to the previous administration.
The surveillance effort aimed to uncover Paraguay’s position in now-suspended negotiations with Brazil regarding the pricing of electricity from the binational Itaipú hydroelectric plant, according to reports in the Brazilian press.
The Brazilian government “categorically denied any involvement in the intelligence operation,” stating in a Foreign Ministry communiqué on Monday that the espionage was carried out under former President Jair Bolsonaro’s administration (2019-2023).
“The operation was authorized by the previous government in June 2022 and was annulled by the interim director of the (state intelligence agency) ABIN on March 27, 2023, as soon as the current administration became aware of it,” Brazil’s government asserted.
Paraguay’s Foreign Minister Rubén Ramírez announced that Brazilian Ambassador José Antonio Marcondes de Carvalho was summoned “to provide detailed explanations” regarding the operation. Additionally, Paraguay recalled its diplomatic representative in Brasília “to report on aspects related to the intelligence activity conducted by Brazil regarding Paraguay’s government affairs.”
International
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders

President Donald Trump has informed his inner circle that Elon Musk will be stepping down from his role as a government advisor, according to a report by Politico today.
Citing three individuals close to Trump, Politico states that the president is pleased with Musk’s leadership at the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), where he has implemented significant budget cuts. However, both have agreed that it is time for Musk to return to his businesses and support Trump from a different position outside the government.
A senior administration official told Politico that Musk will likely maintain an informal advisory role and continue to be an occasional visitor to the White House. Another source warned that anyone thinking Musk will completely disappear from Trump’s circle is “deluding themselves.”
According to the sources, this transition is expected to coincide with the end of Musk’s tenure as a “special government employee,” a temporary status that exempts him from certain ethics and conflict-of-interest regulations. This 130-day period is set to expire in late May or early June.
International
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join

Argentine President Javier Milei reaffirmed his country’s claim over the Falkland Islands (known as the Islas Malvinas in Argentina) and praised the role of the nation’s armed forces during a ceremony marking the “Veterans and Fallen Soldiers of the Malvinas War Day,” commemorating 43 years since the 1982 conflict with the United Kingdom.
Argentina continues to assert sovereignty over the islands, arguing that Britain unlawfully seized them in 1833.
“If sovereignty over the Malvinas is the issue, we have always made it clear that the most important vote is the one cast with one’s feet. We hope that one day, the Malvinas residents will choose to vote with their feet and join us,” Milei stated.
“That is why we aim to become a global power—so much so that they would prefer to be Argentine, making deterrence or persuasion unnecessary. This is why we have embarked on a path of liberation, working to make Argentina the freest country in the world and once again the nation with the highest GDP per capita on the planet,” he added.
-
International4 days ago
Son of journalist José Rubén Zamora condemns father’s return to prison as “illegal”
-
International4 days ago
Miyazaki’s style goes viral with AI but at what cost?
-
Central America3 days ago
Panama police clarifies that Interpol alert for Martinelli is still pending
-
Central America2 days ago
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary urges Mexico to strengthen Guatemala border
-
International2 days ago
Trump urges Putin to reach peace deal
-
Central America2 days ago
Panama grants Martinelli 72-hour extension to travel to Nicaragua
-
International3 days ago
Deportation flight lands in Venezuela; government denies criminal gang links
-
International9 hours ago
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal
-
Sports9 hours ago
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo
-
Central America6 hours ago
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping
-
International9 hours ago
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join
-
Sports9 hours ago
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain
-
Central America5 days ago
Nicaragua revokes legal status of 10 more NGOs, bringing total to over 5,600
-
International9 hours ago
ICE agent’s arrest of suspect sparks controversy in Boston
-
International9 hours ago
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders
-
International9 hours ago
Óscar Arias: Trump’s trade policies are a step backward