International
Shock in Haiti over the massacre of more than 70 people at the hands of an armed gang

The massacre perpetrated early last Thursday morning by the armed group Gran Grif in Pont Sondé, about 100 kilometers from Port-au-Prince, left more than 70 dead, including women, children and the elderly, and has shocked depressed Haiti, immersed for years in a crisis that is only worsening.
The balance of the massacre in Pont Sondé, in the commune of Saint-Marc, in Artibonite, could increase with the hours, because sporadic shots are still heard in the area, which cannot be accessed due to violence.
Several houses and vehicles were set on fire, forcing survivors to take refuge in other places or in the public square of Saint-Marc after walking for hours and crossing bodies along the way.
Inhuman and unacceptable acts
The Prime Minister, Garry Conille, visited the victims this Saturday at the Saint Nicolas de Saint Marc hospital, where he sympathized with the families and expressed his deepest indignation for these acts, which he described as inhumane.
“This new act of violence, directed against innocent civilians, is unacceptable and requires an urgent, rigorous and coordinated response from the State,” said Conille, in office since June 12, replacing Ariel Henry, who resigned in the midst of an outbreak of violence.
During his visit, the head of government reiterated his government’s “full commitment” to work “relentlessly” to restore the security and authority of the State and protect all citizens.
Several units of the Haitian National Police (PNH) are deployed in the commune of Saint-Marc, where they have sent armored vehicles and contingents of the Multinational Security Support Force, which is led by Kenya, with the aim of reinforcing police officers who are already on the ground carrying out operations to dismantle criminal gangs, the Police announced on Facebook.
The division commissioner of the Artibonite Police, Jean Louis Paul Ménard, was dismissed after the massacre for his inability to neutralize the armed gangs that control the region. Instead, they appointed Caleb Exantus, who took office yesterday.
A planned massacre in Haiti
Rumors of a planned massacre had been circulating in Pont-Sondé for at least two months, according to a report by the NGO National Network for the Defense of Human Rights (Rnddh), which expressed its dismay at the news on Saturday.
The armed men blamed the local population for joining forces with those of the members of “The Coalition” – a self-defense group – who are trying to stop criminal activities at the Gran Grif base and prevent them from profiting from the toll they have recently installed on the national road,” Rnddh revealed.
This massacre was characterized by murders, injuries caused by bullets and knives, the burning of houses, vehicles and checkpoints, and the forced displacement of the population of Pont-Sondé.
“People with babies and young children were also killed. The corpses lie on the ground, they have not yet been recovered by their relatives,” Rnddh denounced.
The authorities, unable to restore peace
The Pont-Sondé massacre adds to the thousands of victims of acts of violence against people and property perpetrated by armed people, who have enjoyed impunity for several years, the NGO laments in a document.
“The new state authorities put in place by the international community promised to restore order and security in the country,” however, “nothing has changed since they came to power.”
“They are content to empty the coffers of the State by granting themselves all kinds of advantages, while they let the population manage with the armed men,” he says, while assuring that “nothing is being done to regain control of the areas occupied by members of the armed organizations, disarm them, arrest them, try and condemn them in proportion to the acts of which they are accused.”
The Rnddh recommends that authorities actively search for armed members of the Gran Grif base, run by Luckson Elan.
It also calls for psychological and financial assistance programs to be launched for the entire population of Pont-Sondé, in particular the one that is currently in the public square Philippe Guerrier, very shocked by the attack and who could not take anything with him when he was fleeing the attack of the gang members.
International
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal

Paraguay summoned the Brazilian ambassador in Asunción on Tuesday to demand “explanations” and called its own representative in Brasília for consultations following Brazil’s acknowledgment of an espionage operation. The Brazilian government, led by President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, attributed the operation to the previous administration.
The surveillance effort aimed to uncover Paraguay’s position in now-suspended negotiations with Brazil regarding the pricing of electricity from the binational Itaipú hydroelectric plant, according to reports in the Brazilian press.
The Brazilian government “categorically denied any involvement in the intelligence operation,” stating in a Foreign Ministry communiqué on Monday that the espionage was carried out under former President Jair Bolsonaro’s administration (2019-2023).
“The operation was authorized by the previous government in June 2022 and was annulled by the interim director of the (state intelligence agency) ABIN on March 27, 2023, as soon as the current administration became aware of it,” Brazil’s government asserted.
Paraguay’s Foreign Minister Rubén Ramírez announced that Brazilian Ambassador José Antonio Marcondes de Carvalho was summoned “to provide detailed explanations” regarding the operation. Additionally, Paraguay recalled its diplomatic representative in Brasília “to report on aspects related to the intelligence activity conducted by Brazil regarding Paraguay’s government affairs.”
International
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders

President Donald Trump has informed his inner circle that Elon Musk will be stepping down from his role as a government advisor, according to a report by Politico today.
Citing three individuals close to Trump, Politico states that the president is pleased with Musk’s leadership at the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), where he has implemented significant budget cuts. However, both have agreed that it is time for Musk to return to his businesses and support Trump from a different position outside the government.
A senior administration official told Politico that Musk will likely maintain an informal advisory role and continue to be an occasional visitor to the White House. Another source warned that anyone thinking Musk will completely disappear from Trump’s circle is “deluding themselves.”
According to the sources, this transition is expected to coincide with the end of Musk’s tenure as a “special government employee,” a temporary status that exempts him from certain ethics and conflict-of-interest regulations. This 130-day period is set to expire in late May or early June.
International
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join

Argentine President Javier Milei reaffirmed his country’s claim over the Falkland Islands (known as the Islas Malvinas in Argentina) and praised the role of the nation’s armed forces during a ceremony marking the “Veterans and Fallen Soldiers of the Malvinas War Day,” commemorating 43 years since the 1982 conflict with the United Kingdom.
Argentina continues to assert sovereignty over the islands, arguing that Britain unlawfully seized them in 1833.
“If sovereignty over the Malvinas is the issue, we have always made it clear that the most important vote is the one cast with one’s feet. We hope that one day, the Malvinas residents will choose to vote with their feet and join us,” Milei stated.
“That is why we aim to become a global power—so much so that they would prefer to be Argentine, making deterrence or persuasion unnecessary. This is why we have embarked on a path of liberation, working to make Argentina the freest country in the world and once again the nation with the highest GDP per capita on the planet,” he added.
-
Central America3 days ago
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary urges Mexico to strengthen Guatemala border
-
Central America3 days ago
Panama grants Martinelli 72-hour extension to travel to Nicaragua
-
International2 days ago
Paraguay summons Brazilian ambassador over Itaipú espionage scandal
-
Central America4 days ago
Panama police clarifies that Interpol alert for Martinelli is still pending
-
International3 days ago
Trump urges Putin to reach peace deal
-
International4 days ago
Deportation flight lands in Venezuela; government denies criminal gang links
-
Sports2 days ago
Filipe Luis debuts as coach in Copa Libertadores with Flamengo
-
International2 days ago
Elon Musk to step down as government advisor, per Trump insiders
-
Central America2 days ago
Guatemalan police officer killed in mob riots over baby kidnapping
-
Sports2 days ago
Venezuela investigates 18 baseball players seeking asylum in Spain
-
International2 days ago
Milei vows to make Argentina so strong that Falkland Islanders “choose” to join
-
International2 days ago
ICE agent’s arrest of suspect sparks controversy in Boston
-
International2 days ago
Óscar Arias: Trump’s trade policies are a step backward