Connect with us

International

USA: “In the coming days, weeks,” Panama could deport Venezuelans to a third country

“In the coming days, weeks at the latest,” Panama could begin the air deportation of Venezuelans who cross the Darién jungle, the natural border with Colombia, to third countries, as part of the agreement between the Panamanian Government and the United States signed on July 1, the US Regional Internal Security attaché, Marlen Piñeiro, assured EFE on Wednesday.

“Yes, we have approached several countries and we think that in the coming days, weeks at the latest, we will have ways to return Venezuelans to third countries where they will be safe,” said Piñeiro in an interview, who has so far been the representative of the US authorities during the deportation flights carried out by Panama since last August.

Asked if she could advance with which countries they are holding talks, she said that “not yet”: “But we have talked to several,” she acknowledged.

The agreement, signed on the first day of the new Administration of President José Raúl Mulino, contemplates the repatriation by air and based on Panamanian laws of irregular migrants who have arrived in Panama after crossing the border jungle.

The migrants

The United States finances the flights with an initial amount of 6 million dollars, of which more than 1.1 million dollars have already been used on 20 flights, the last one this morning, to countries such as Colombia, Ecuador and India, and which affected about 800 migrants.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Since the flights began, there has been a drastic reduction in the number of Colombians and Ecuadorians crossing the Darién, of 65% and 92%, respectively, according to a statement by the US authorities.

But the vast majority of migrants crossing the jungle are Venezuelans who could not be deported given the suspension, since the end of July, of diplomatic relations between Panama and Venezuela as a result of the crisis triggered after the elections.

The data from the Panamanian authorities are resounding: of the more than 263,000 migrants who crossed the Darién until the end of September, the last month with the complete figures, 67% were Venezuelans, while in 2023, when the historical record of people who had crossed this jungle, with more than 520,000, 63% also came from Venezuela.

Generalized drop in the number of migrants due to the Darién

But despite the fact that there are no deportation flights for Venezuelans, the data also indicate a generalized drop in the number of migrants, with 274,444 irregular travelers who until October 13 had arrived in Panama, 36.5% less than the 432,211 registered in the same period of 2023.

“We think it’s due to the good work that this administration has done in Panama. We also think it has to do with the proclamation made by President (American Joe) Biden on our own border in June. Those two things (had their reason), which was that people thought twice (before) coming through the irregular road,” the official stressed.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The deportations

Piñeiro also confirmed that although it had initially been said that deportations would be voluntary, “so far all the deportations that have occurred have been involuntary deportations or expulsions, consistent with Panamanian law.”

In addition, there have been complaints from migrants, as EFE testified in the Lajas Blancas migratory reception center in Darién, that family separations occurred by the immigration authorities of Panama, in particular cases in which the Colombian husband was deported, while the Venezuelan mother was allowed to continue her journey to North America.

The regional internal security attaché assured that she had no “recode of that.”

“If there is any allegation about that, we would explore it. However, I always repeat that it is Panamanian law and if Panamanian law decides that someone should be deported, for example it is possible that they have had a criminal (history), they are eligible to be deported under Panamanian law,” he said.

However, he noted that most migrants who enter through the Darién and are deported have no criminal record, but are deported for having entered Panama irregularly.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Increase in destination countries

US authorities detailed that in addition to the charter flights already made to Colombia, Ecuador and India, four irregular migrants were returned on commercial flights to Afghanistan, Pakistan, Russia and Turkey, but Piñeiro said that they hope to expand the nationalities.

“I can confirm that we are talking to all the countries where migrants are entering. To clarify, Panama is talking to the countries where migrants are entering to return them under Panamanian law,” he said.

According to data until October revealed by the Panamanian authorities, the main countries of origin of the migrants crossing the Darién are, in this order, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, China, Haiti, India, Peru, Vietnam and Bangladesh.

Piñeiro, although born in the United States, is the daughter of Cubans with ancestors of Spanish origin, so she says she is aware of migration, a sector in which she has also worked for the last 37 years.

That is why, he emphasizes, he asks migrants to opt for “the legal routes” of migration, because sometimes “people think they do not qualify, but yes, there are work paths, there are family routes,” while with the irregular option they put themselves in danger.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“There is a lot of risk in the Darién, not only of violence, money, exploitation, the scars that are caused to children are scars that remain for life, it is not worth it,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

International

Trump warns Iran over nuclear ambitions as U.S.-Iran ceasefire deadline passes

U.S. President Donald Trump reiterated Monday that Iran must never be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon, as a 60-day deadline set under a memorandum of understanding between Washington and Tehran expired without an agreement to end the conflict in the Middle East.

“The number one goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way or under any circumstances, a nuclear weapon,” Trump wrote in a post on his Truth Social platform.

The memorandum, signed on June 17, called for an “immediate and permanent cessation of military operations on all fronts” as part of a broader negotiation process aimed at ending the conflict. However, the deadline expired Monday without a peace agreement, while both Washington and Tehran continued to maintain their respective positions.

The expiration is largely symbolic, as military clashes resumed during the 60-day period. The Strait of Hormuz also remains blocked, contributing to elevated global oil prices.

Trump escalated his rhetoric toward Tehran last Friday, saying he planned to declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory after defeating Iran.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, very soon I will essentially declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory,” Trump said during a political rally in Long Island, New York. He also claimed that the United States currently controls the passage of vessels through the strategic waterway.

Meanwhile, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Washington is preparing additional economic measures against Iran that he described as unprecedented.

“Stay tuned for new announcements next week because we are going to implement measures unlike anything ever seen in the history of the economic isolation of a country,” Bessent said.

The Treasury secretary indicated that the measures would form part of a broader “double hit” strategy that could also involve maintaining the blockade of Iranian ports.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Brazil’s Lula and Flávio Bolsonaro kick off election campaigns amid focus on crime

Public security took center stage Sunday as Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and Senator Flávio Bolsonaro formally launched their election campaigns, positioning themselves as the leading rivals ahead of the October presidential vote.

Lula, who leads most opinion polls, kicked off his campaign at the Vila Euclides stadium in São Bernardo do Campo, in São Paulo state, while Bolsonaro held his event in Rio de Janeiro, a political stronghold of his family.

During his speech, Lula announced plans to create a new Ministry of Public Security aimed at strengthening coordination between the federal government and Brazil’s states in the fight against crime.

The president pledged a tougher strategy to reclaim territories controlled or influenced by criminal groups. The proposed ministry would help “share responsibilities with the states” and confront those who seek to control favelas and impoverished neighborhoods, Lula told supporters.

The initiative places public security at the heart of Lula’s campaign as he seeks another term in office amid persistent concerns over crime and organized criminal activity in Brazil.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Lula also used his first campaign speech to reinforce his position as a leading figure of Brazil’s left and to criticize his political opponents on the right.

“I will not allow the right to take power,” Lula said, accusing his opponents of having previously mocked children who died because they lacked access to medicine.

“I don’t know what future these people imagine for the Brazilian people,” he added.

Continue Reading

International

Actress Hayden Panettiere Dies at 36, Representative Confirms

Actress Hayden Panettiere has died at the age of 36, her representative confirmed to CNN.

“It is with profound sadness that we share the tragic passing of our beloved Hayden. She was an incredible light and a force of nature who brought immeasurable love and joy to everyone who knew her, and to the millions who saw her on screen,” her father, Skip Panettiere, said in a statement to CNN.

The circumstances surrounding her death were not immediately known. ABC was the first outlet to report the news.

Panettiere rose to prominence in the late 2000s with her role as Claire Bennet in the television series “Heroes.” Her character was a cheerleader with the ability to heal herself, becoming one of the show’s most recognizable figures.

She later starred in the musical drama series “Nashville,” portraying Juliette Barnes, a young country music star whose career and personal life were central to the series.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Panettiere also appeared in the 2011 horror film “Scream 4” as Kirby Reed. She later returned to the franchise more than a decade later in “Scream VI.”

Her other notable film credits included “I Love You, Beth Cooper” and “Remember the Titans.”

Panettiere’s career spanned television and film, with roles that made her a familiar face to audiences from the 2000s onward.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

Trending

Central News