Connect with us

International

Controversial assisted suicide bill introduced in UK Parliament

British lawmakers began debating on Friday the processing of a bill on assisted dying for certain terminally ill patients, a proposal that has sparked controversy.

The bill would allow assisted suicide for patients in England and Wales who are terminally ill, with only six months of life expectancy remaining.

To qualify for this option, patients must be able to express a clear choice and obtain approval from two doctors and a judge.

The bill’s sponsor, Labour MP Kim Leadbeater, argues that these provisions make it “the most robust” legislation on the issue in the world.

Speaking before the House of Commons, Leadbeater said the bill aims to provide “choice, autonomy, and dignity” to adults suffering from terminal illnesses.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

She argued that the current law “is not clear and does not protect patients, families, and healthcare staff, which forces people into desperate actions.”

Leadbeater shared the story of Norman, a man who had been battling prostate cancer for 15 years. “When the disease spread and the pain became unbearable, he went to his garden and shot himself in the head.”

If the bill passes this initial stage, it will need to be reviewed and amended in committee before being brought back for approval by both houses of the British Parliament.

Although the proposal originates from within the Labour Party, the Labour government has not officially endorsed it, and the outcome of the vote will depend more on personal convictions than party directives.

Nine years ago, a similar bill on assisted suicide was rejected by Parliament, but public opinion has shifted since then and is now largely supportive of the proposal.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

A poll published on Friday by YouGov found that three-quarters of residents in England and Wales support this change in the law.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_300x250

International

Florida judge sets 2027 trial in Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against BBC

A federal judge in Florida has scheduled February 2027 for the trial in the lawsuit filed by U.S. President Donald Trump against the BBC, in which he is seeking $10 billion in damages for defamation.

Trump accuses the British broadcaster of airing a misleading edit of a speech he delivered on January 6, 2021, which, he says, made it appear that he explicitly urged his supporters to attack the U.S. Capitol in Washington.

The president filed the suit in December in federal court in Florida, alleging defamation and violations of a law governing business practices when the program was broadcast ahead of the 2024 election.

Trump is seeking $5 billion in damages for each of the two claims.

Lawyers for the BBC unsuccessfully asked the court to dismiss the case, arguing that Trump had not suffered a “legally recognizable harm,” since the investigative program Panorama, which included the edited footage, aired outside the United States.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Head-of-state diplomacy key to guiding China–U.S. ties, Beijing says

Head-of-state diplomacy plays an irreplaceable strategic guiding role in China–United States relations, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said on Thursday during a regular press briefing, when asked about high-level exchanges between the two sides.

Lin added that in a recent phone call, U.S. President Donald Trump once again expressed his intention to visit China in April, while Chinese President Xi Jinping reiterated his invitation.

Both sides remain in communication regarding the matter, the spokesperson said.

Lin noted that the essence of China–U.S. economic and trade ties lies in mutual benefit and win-win outcomes.

“Both parties should work together to implement the important consensus reached by the two heads of state, injecting greater certainty and stability into China–U.S. economic and trade cooperation, as well as into the global economy,” he said.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Trump administration to end special immigration operation in Minnesota

The administration of Donald Trump is bringing to a close its special operation targeting illegal immigration in the northern state of Minnesota, border czar Tom Homan announced Thursday, following weeks of unrest and the fatal shootings of two activists by federal agents.

Thousands of federal officers had been deployed to Minnesota in December to carry out large-scale raids against undocumented immigrants.

The operations triggered strong reactions from residents and advocacy groups, leading to daily confrontations and the deaths of two people who were shot by federal agents.

“I proposed, and President Trump agreed, that this special operation should end in Minnesota,” Homan said during a press conference in the state capital, Minneapolis.

“A significant drawdown began this week and will continue into next week,” he added.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Homan indicated that similar enforcement efforts could be launched in other cities.

“Next week we will redeploy the agents currently here back to their home stations or to other parts of the country where they are needed. But we will continue to enforce immigration laws,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending

Central News