Connect with us

International

In Chile, 6,281 couples have married after three years of the same-sex marriage law

Three years after the entry into force of the Equal Marriage Law in Chile, a total of 6,281 homosexual couples have married, the Movement for Homosexual Integration and Liberation (Movilh) reported on Tuesday, after obtaining figures from the Civil Registry.

55% of marriages have been between women (3,456) and 45% between men (2,825), and 56 divorces and 70 nullities have been recorded to date, whose sum corresponds to 1.1% of the total ceremonies held since the approval of the rule until December 2, 2024.

A total of 824 people have been registered as sons and daughters of same-gender couples, 710 as children of two mothers (86.2%), and 114 as children of two fathers (13.8%).

“This is not only a legal transformation, but also a profound cultural change,” said Movilh spokeswoman Javiera Zúñiga in the statement.

“In all regions there have been equal marriages and registrations of people as children of same-sex couples, which is good news, because it ends inequalities due to sexual orientation or gender identity of families,” he added.

Advertisement
20260224_estafa_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The Metropolitan region concentrates 54.5% of marriages contracted (3,428), followed by Valparaíso (790), Biobío (308), Bernardo O’Higgins (262) and Antofagasta (247) as the territories where more couples have married.

Aysén (14), Magallanes and Chilean Antarctica (47), Arica and Parinacota (70), Los Ríos (79) and Ñuble (80), the least populated regions of the country, are the ones with the fewest marriages.

The registration of sons and daughters of homosexual couples also corresponds to the number of inhabitants of each region, being the Metropolitan the one that has registered the highest number (466, representing 56.5% of the total), followed by Valparaíso (102), Antofagasta (38) and Biobío (36).

Majority of marriages between women

In all territories, except in Aysén, the number of marriages between women is higher than that of men, and in all cases there have been more children recognized by female couples than male couples.

Equal marriage was legalized in Chile after in 2016 the Chilean State and Movilh signed an Amicable Settlement Agreement before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, where the country committed to create, process and approve the rule.

Advertisement
20260224_estafa_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Until then, homosexual couples could resort to the Civil Union Agreement, promulgated in April 2015, which allows the regularization of “the legal aspects of a common, stable and permanent affective life,” the law indicates.

Since its entry into force on December 10, 2021, this agreement has resulted in 12,830 links, 6,566 between women (51.1%) and 6,264 among men (48.9%).

The third anniversary of the publication of the Equal Marriage Law in the Official Journal of Chile coincides with International Human Rights Day, which commemorates the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the United Nations.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260224_estafa_mh_300x250

International

WHO Warns Ebola Outbreak Is Spreading Rapidly in DR Congo

The World Health Organization on Friday raised the risk level of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo from “high” to “very high,” the highest alert category used by the organization.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the outbreak is spreading rapidly across the country, particularly in the eastern provinces of North Kivu and South Kivu.

“The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is spreading rapidly,” Tedros stated during a press conference.

He explained that the WHO had previously classified the risk as high at both the national and regional levels, while maintaining a low risk assessment globally.

“We are now revising our risk assessment to classify it as very high at the national level, high at the regional level, and low at the global level,” he added.

Advertisement
20260224_estafa_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

A WHO spokesperson told AFP that “very high” represents the organization’s highest risk category.

The outbreak has expanded across North Kivu and South Kivu, regions divided by the frontline between Congolese government forces and the armed group M23, which is reportedly backed by Rwanda and has seized large areas of territory since 2021.

Continue Reading

International

Guatemalan Man Sentenced to 50 Years in U.S. Prison for Child Exploitation Crimes

Ángel Emilio Rodríguez Marroquín, a Guatemalan citizen living illegally in California, was sentenced to 50 years in prison on multiple charges related to the sexual exploitation of his two eight-year-old nephews, both of whom are disabled, according to a report published by Fox News.

The Central American national was arrested on November 22, 2025, on charges of producing and possessing child pornography, the report stated.

The investigation was led by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Los Angeles and the Homeland Security Investigations division of the immigration service. Authorities said Rodríguez Marroquín recorded himself sexually abusing both children.

According to the Department of Homeland Security, Rodríguez illegally entered the United States in 2024, was arrested, and later released.

The convicted man is also under investigation in Guatemala for child exploitation offenses. That investigation is being conducted by HSI in coordination with the Los Angeles Cyber Crimes Against Children Unit.

Advertisement
20260224_estafa_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“This depraved illegal alien from Guatemala pleaded guilty to producing and possessing child pornography involving the abuse of his nephews,” said acting DHS Deputy Secretary Lauren Bis.

She also criticized U.S. immigration policies under former President Joe Biden, claiming the defendant would not have been in the country if stricter border controls had been enforced.

Continue Reading

International

Trump Delays Potential Iran Strikes as Regional Peace Talks Continue

Donald Trump announced a new deadline for potential military action against Iran, saying he would temporarily delay planned strikes while regional negotiators continue efforts to secure a peace agreement.

Speaking at the White House, Trump said he decided to postpone the operation after receiving requests from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates.

The U.S. president explained that the pause would remain in place for only a limited period, adding that discussions could continue through the end of the week or early next week.

Trump also warned that military action remained a possibility if negotiations fail to produce results, stressing that the United States could not allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.

“Maybe we’ll have to hit them again,” Trump said, referring to Iran while reiterating his willingness to resume military operations if necessary.

Advertisement
20260224_estafa_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

Trending

Central News